• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear help

Mallet

Reaction score
Hi,

I am heading to an out of town wedding soon and I need some help and suggestions as what would be best to wear in this situation.

The wedding is in late March in Los Angeles, at night. The invite describe the event as:

"Cocktail attire. This is an evening event with an Old Hollywood feel. All festivities will be indoors so ladies, feel free to wear those high heels! Black tie is optional, and sparkle is encouraged."

I am having difficulties with the many options.

First, black tie is optional. Which is simple an speaks for itself, but when you add Cocktail attire, plus "old hollywood" and "sparkle" being encouraged I start to get confused and second guess myself.

The wedding is filled with film and television industry people, so I expect a certain artistic flair and style, but being an out-of-towner, and going solo, and not knowing anyone else there (except for the groom) I don't want to underdress and come across as the "small town rube", but I don't want to over do it and seem equally out of place.

[FONT='Playfair Display', serif]My buddy the groom said, "Dude, where what you want." but I'm sure the bride-to-be might have another thought on the matter and I'd to at least look like I belong there when mingling.[/FONT]

[FONT='Playfair Display', serif]Should I crack out the white dinner jacket and black bow tie for the "classic hollywood" feel?
Black tux and bow tie and risk looking like part of the wedding party?
A simple dark suit and tie, but then risk not having "sparkle" or "old hollywood"?[/FONT]

Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

calvinmetthew

Reaction score
if i were in your shoes i would wear what i like, regardless of being over or underdress but keeping in mind of dress code.
"old hollywood" : white jacket and black bow tie looks fine to me.
and a dark suit light shirt and dark tie will work as well.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White dinner jacket with black bow tie might show up the groom. Whatever the choice, make sure everything fits well, because poor fit is a sign of someone without style. Also, wear good shoes (like Allen Edmonds Park Avenue).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear a dark grey or navy suit and tie. People in the film and television industry are not known for their taste in clothing or formality, so I would not worry about being underdressed at a black tie optional event in LA if you're wearing a suit and tie. Those wearing tuxedos will probably be in the minority. You are welcome to wear one if you wish, but there's no obligation. If the invite says black tie optional, I wouldn't worry about looking like the wedding party if you're in a tuxedo (what is the wedding party wearing anyways?).

White dinner jackets are really only appropriate during the summer. March is way too early to think about wearing a white dinner jacket. Either go with a regular black tie rig or wear a nice dark grey or navy suit and tie.

OTM

Reaction score
Go for the black tie option! There are not enough oppurtunities to wear ones dinner clothes. Go for the standard ensemble, you'll be sure to "outsparkle" all those who try to do something "fun" or "special".

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go for the black tie option! There are not enough oppurtunities to wear ones dinner clothes. Go for the standard ensemble, you'll be sure to "outsparkle" all those who try to do something "fun" or "special".

+100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads