• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to do about my Acne Mic's?

gabby11303

Reaction score
I bought a pair of raw rigid Mic's about a two months ago and haven't worn them yet. I really dig them up top all the way down the leg and my only problem is about from the knee down. I wish they were a little smaller. I measured the knee 13 inches from the crotch and they measure 8.75. The leg opening is 8.5. I think if they were about .25-.5 inches smaller from there down I'd really dig them. I generally don't like anything bigger than an 8.25 leg opening. Since they are sanforized denim, will they shrink at all down there if I soak them in really hot water? I guess the other two options are to try and sell them or get them tailored.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They won't shrink. If they fit well in the top block, I wouldn't recommend sizing down. In that case, get them tailored (iffy) or sell them and buy a different cut (Max, maybe?).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Really? I would think having jeans tailored risks getting the cut of the jean, 'genericized'.

Meaning, most jean brands are usually known for their specific cuts unique to its brand/model and any tailor perhaps in trying to taper them, will lose that cut in the process.
Even ever so slightly, upon wearing you may be able to see the unfortunate difference.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Jeans are genericized.. they're just jeans. Most cuts aren't even radically different from each other. If having your jeans tailored would make you enjoy them better, then by all means. You aren't betraying some vision and nobody is going to start thinking your Acne's are now Gap jeans (nobody really cares).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
yea I see what you're saying, but I'd rather have that than be stuck with a jean that you'll never wear. gotta do the best with what you got! or you could sell those acnes and buy some nice new jeans from farinelli's 50% off sale!!!!! (SHAMELESS PLUG)

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Well, imo the Mic is one of my favourite cuts ever, so I wouldn't change it. I would say that if you wanted a tapered jean you should've just bought something else. But you can get them tapered by 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch if you want; any alterationist can do it pretty easily and for little money. It won't "genericize" the jean, whatever that means; the change is minimal. That reminds me, I have some cords to get tapered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads