• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to change about these outfits?

Reaction score
I'm a fairly bold and confident person. I really don't want to be wearing 'the uniform', but I don't know enough about fashion to know where to draw the line. The goal of these outfits is a sort of 'hip' pseudo-formal, but actually casual-wear. Does it work? What can I change to make it better while keeping the general direction of it? Oh, and I am aware that the shoes suck. I am in the process of getting better ones. PS - Be nice guys. I am just starting to pay attention to fashion, and without experimenting (and failing sometimes), I won't know what to do and what to avoid. Everyone starts somewhere
plain.gif
EDIT: I should point out that I've been browsing this forum for the last month or so, but I'm still a 1/10 on fashion sense.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Hope you have thick skin.

i killed judas.

Reaction score
-Lose the facial hair
-Get a haircut closer to the scalp if you are sticking with something short and make sure you keep it maintained (read cut). You look like you have fairly thin hair so it tends to look like a pseudo-porcupine at the length it is.
-Iron the shirts
-Tuck in the shirts
-Pocket-less shirts
-Do not roll sleeves of shirts
-Buy some sort of blazer/sport coat (If keeping it "business-casual")
-Wear actual pants
-Wear actual shoes
-Tone down the tie
-Actually tie the tie
-Tie the tie with a much smaller knot

And for casual, out-of-the-office looks, buy better fitting jeans. Judging by the leg size of those jeans, I can't imagine the ass-sag going on in the seat of them. Unless you have a badonkadonk (sp?)

Lowndes

Reaction score
hmmm, well to be 100% honest I think both outfits look pretty bad. I've never understood the red tie on a black shirt thing. Always, thought it look horrendous. The other combo is pretty bad as well. Your jeans don't seem to fit you very well. Also, the whole tie and shirt without a jacket I think looks a little silly. If you want to be casual it's better to go with a coat without a tie.

What you can do to improve. Get some different color shirts. Some lighter colors, solid, check, stripe. Toss the black shirts with a tie idea. I've never seen that pulled off where it looks good.

May I ask what kind of shoes you are looking into? Best of luck in building a wardrobe.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd change these in order of preference. 1. Trash shoes buy others asap. 2. Horrible Jeans > pants 3. Trash shirt > buy a new shirt with sleeves that fit and tuck it in. Also, dark shirts = fail. 4. Don't unbutton the top button when wearing a tie. It doesn't work for the guy in CSI Miami and it doesn't work for you either. 5. Did I mention to tuck in your shirt? 6. Get different ties for your lighter shirts and learn how to tie them. 7. Read the what are you wearing thread and others to get ideas. 8. Welcome to the forum
smile.gif

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
lurker[1].gif

Hope you have thick skin.

That's, uh, really helpful.

Grow hair longer, and get a proper hairdresser to put some shape into it.
Buy slim fit shirts which are snug around the torso. + Iron them. White, striped, light colours.
Buy MUCH slimmer fit trousers + some dark jeans. Pull them up.
Get rid of those clumpy shoes in favour of some slim brogues etc.
If you're going to roll your sleeves, 'fold roll' them instead. Preferably don't do it at all.
Tuck your shirt in and get a nice brown belt.
Buy some slimmer ties, tie them longer, and make sure to avoid an 'ensemble' or a cheap rent-a-suit prom look like black n' red. Learn much smaller knots.
Get rid of the bum fluff.

I hate to be torn apart but you're not a bad looking guy, so what you're doing is wasting your potential.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice so far.

To start, I'd say go over to SW&D to get some advice on some jeans. You really need to work on your fit, even if you want to be casual, slim dark jeans will go a long way towards making you look thinner, neater, and better dressed. If you want to wear a buttoned shirt untucked, find one with a flat bottom that was made to be worn that way, and don't wear a tie--untucked with a tie is brutal. Same with the shirts, get some that fit, whatever color you want to wear (though dark colors are not doing you any favors). I'm not sure if those are black pants or jeans, but the fit is your biggest problem.

Then find some shoes.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slimmer, slimmer, slimmer.

Slimmer shirt in a lighter color (nothing wrong with white) and tuck it in. Roll up the sleeves if you want to - up to or above your elbows. Slimmer pants with nice slim belt. Slimmer tie, always darker than the shirt. Try a tie bar.

Like many here I don't love the tie without a jacket, but this is you, not me. Go for it, just slim down the whole look. You look like you are in decent shape, don't wear clothes that look a size too big.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, unless you are required to keep that ID thing around your neck, just put it in your pocket without the lariat.

Reaction score
I've actually lost 30 pounds, and am on track to losing another 20. I'm a little reluctant to have my clothes tailored at this point, but I definitely agree that they are too big. Especially the shirt. But as I said, I don't want to pay to tailor them, then 3 months from now, have to pay again.

As for the shirt/tie combo. I hate tucking in shirts, and I love wearing ties, so I think it's quite a conundrum... I don't know what the solution is here.

Part of fashion is personal style and not being 'perfect', right? In that light, would a flat bottom dress shirt + tie be 'in the eye of the beholder', or would it pretty much be universally hated (not universally indifferent, but actually hated)?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dlion0721
Also, the whole tie and shirt without a jacket I think looks a little silly. .

It shows you're working hard. In these tough times I'd suggest sprinkling some water on your forehead just before somebody walks by.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads