• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I consider myself an audiophile but I'm not, really. I've built 3 or 4 rigs and then listen for 10 years or so, get the itch and do it again. I'm getting closer....

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sort of fool myself that I like the tube sound (I have a tube preamp, poweramp as well as a tube DAC), but in all honesty I was also happy with the sound from the Denon all in one (RCD-CX1). It's just a hobby of sorts, totally subjective. During my time, I've fallen for some of the usual 'audiophile' rubbish - I recall there was a vogue in the 80s for black markers for CD edges, also some adhesive 'stabilizing' rings. Lifting speaker cables off the floor with polystyrene cups etc.

I'm not saying people can't tell the difference between setups but 99% of the time, I'm not truly just listening to the music (perfect listening position, doing nothing but listen to the music). Plus most of the music I listen to, isn't what you'd call audiophile quality eg James Brown. I love JB, but his recordings were totally crap in quality. Doesn't stop me from strutting to 'Sex Machine' though. Or 78s, I've been listening to Sidney Bechet, Billie Holiday - I like that it's (sort of) the original format but of course, I'd get better sound from a well mastered CD or vinyl.

Apologies, just my regular re-statement of what i do with music. If you like the sound, whatever the setup, it's fine.
Never heard about Sidney Bechet. Very enjoyable (on my Sony WH-1000XM3).

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of Sidney Bechet until a year or two ago. I got some LPs as a lot. I put on this random record, supposedly from the 1960s and the first track was Crazy rhythm, sound was crisp and the melody captivating (to me) and I was hooked. I've since accumulated a few dozen Bechet records including 78s. He was a bit of a jerk as a guy, but a damn good musician.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing special. Just a TD-166 mk II. Speakers are some Wharfdale Diamonds. I have a pair of vintage Heresy that I need to clean up

vUX4msnV8bKYsaIgKulZW9jX8zKGrWfWuispthgxQPyqG8d0EUNh93DSo2Ym0bx0Tqcoos8RV3BXxSDrwqyN703cFhqUB6iaWndfWz800x55B6LXGc-tILoMqd5OGIY6OrvNqRiLSIuWP58qtWZHeuJRuC2GOYI-vZ_klfvxaGjbsYVS5Xmhs4v0-1xs9u1R8QHnlhHmN8VGTO7i0K59UWZVupjjL8Pks_qcDx7SF3cfUkMRtGZnQ9RK1sO7vYBR8FAaMs3DcxuU-y5sYUWPyl6aV_KN9hbuK7QtzQR4T1VRefcyUYW-slp3RpUjw3zd1zczvAIv9TksspYlp2eUsCwi4a6M7zu_FyAbPPcLK4Rqn8RYYD6jHS9CneUOuxj4MiCC3wWfyO2bD9qOoUr2jxgYlP05Btck6TccHt9YgPN1lCfUI3JzP4S4fHqdtp1Wz7yzV08j9Hvb1_ofMBgu5SLnW7HGQUYEYy0qBpEZW127rVVGKQIoKd3TvHeR-R-1bPXxbWRJwSATgwkRpq-J7AUYmeSjWTRazn0PZWHqb12JC-YrFWdHAVDwjBeCZfG3VAiGKYajwOIF0i-gRh6FyznnkvPoh3GcxbdRmt7LorE7SpwLb8yd67Rw8k2_dW-2zjYKW0pP93gU5n0kxE51lNrvqk6GCBgGiwoR0VZ6LwSzsBJl_Pdd0l95f8-JYOP0EaXrAFd83K8mGWx9vSms6SD4JedEIeewyObEAhckEkNT_igH4MRlDO6mHhXag4D4sWwjFc91agk3sJOrFqgd1sMpjHP6zO8aiul9TzdWIYEYU6Omh6F-xErtkJKWYJwlmsiFzY8Ut3vEokrhM0e9-dFkUc-8Ej6yudVQGzRSmdABVdxke1xWoOFRv2fjiAuqUjjN8DumASUj8I79Fh7iDHonvxcJFTd2xGFJm3Mb9ski1A=w1747-h1315-no

Attachments

• PXL_20221215_181942219.jpg
    PXL_20221215_181942219.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 424

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice. I had Wharfdale Diamonds when i was a student - NAD amp, Sony CD, Aiwa cassette and a Dual turntable. All bought after hours of study of hifi mags, for max bang for buck.

Currently I'm having a bit of 'fun' with 8 tracks. I bought 3 players, one works well. Tapes are fun, but the geometry stumps me at times. You end up with impossible loops of tape. Repairing them is also 'relatively' therapeutic. Music quality is strictly 'nostalgic' value only.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started the long and hard task of getting my g/f to agree to "upgrade" from her bluetooth Soundsticks.

Yeah.

If I had my druthers we would go with a Quad 33/303 setup

quad-33-303-fm-3.jpg

A Bluesound Node streamer (she an Apple flunky and they don't play well with chromecast)

A Thorens TD 160 turntable

8858549047_3115c1aac7_b.jpg

And some ESL-57 speakers

IMG_4867.jpg

Check back to see how this ends up :lurk:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how the experiences of your youth influence your desires as an adult. Used to visit the old Magnolia HiFi chain when I grew up in the Seattle area. Idolized Klipsch and McIntosh.

Flash forward 30 years later and I buy a pair of Klipsch Heresy III's to go with my long term Peachtree integrated. Really liked them, but never loved them so I switched them out for the Magnepan LRS+.

Got my bonus this year and decided to splurge on a McIntosh Integrated. Beautiful, but too "warm" to my liking.

Did some research and while the preferred pairing for Magnepan is Bryston, Parasound is a cheaper (and suitable) substitute.

So my "final" system is:

Preamp: Parasound P6
Amp: Parasound Halo A21+
Speakers: Magnepan LRS+ - splurged for the Magnariser stands which made a world of difference (I was legit surprised how much it changed the sound)
Sub: SVS Micro 3000
Streamer/DAC: Auralic Altair G1
Turntable: Technics

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads