• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What slacks for this SC?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a BB jacket that I'm very fond of but that I have a lot of trouble pairing with slacks. Around the house, I just wear it without slacks, but I need more options when I go out.

It's kind of dove gray in color, and it's made of silk and linen in a herringbone weave. Warm colors don't work with it. I tried it with khakis the other day and that was awful.

So far, I've only been able to wear it successfully with white jeans. I've paired it with gray slacks, too, and although that combo's not too bad in real life, it has not received good reviews in WAYWRN where there's a strong bias against wearing dark slacks with a light jacket.

What color slacks (and maybe fabrics, too) do you think would work best with this jacket?

Here's a closeup:
Closeup-88.jpg

Another closeup:
Closeup-10.jpg

Here it is with white jeans:
Standing-6.jpg

White jeans again:
Front-10.jpg

Here it is with gray slacks:
Leaning-41.jpg

Gray slacks again:
Leaning-30.jpg

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy cotton? But not chinos.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The darker slacks look fine IMO. As do the white jeans.

You may also want to try darker slacks that aren't quite as dark. An air force blue could look quite nice.

jstupple19

Reaction score
I like the look with white pants, and you certainly can pull-off the dark trousers with that sportcoat. Have you tried wearing it with a brighter-coloured shirt, to perhaps offset the 'coolness' of the colour? Maybe a brighter blue, or something like orange or green? Then you might be able to wear it with some light khakis.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Navy cotton? But not chinos.
Why not chinos? Too heavy?

Originally Posted by cptjeff
An air force blue could look quite nice.
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the validation.

Originally Posted by jstupple19
Have you tried wearing it with a brighter-coloured shirt, to perhaps offset the 'coolness' of the colour?
That's a good idea. I haven't done much experimenting in that regard.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think jeans would look good. I like it with white pants, but not so much with dark gray. Looks too generic and boring to me. Also, I would rock brown and dark green with this jacket like there were no tomorrow!

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Why not chinos? Too heavy?

A combination of that, plus I think the informally of them would jar with the jacket. Conversely, I think worsted woollen trousers would be too similar.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'mot a fan of that jacket but if you are going to wear it, stay away from any shade of grey pant and look towards blues and browns

+1, i think a nice brown in the right shade would be very nice

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I would rock brown and dark green with this jacket like there were no tomorrow!
I tried brown once and wasn't happy. Dark green, however, sounds promising. Don't own any green slacks, but I can remedy that.

Originally Posted by edmorel
I'mot a fan of that jacket...
butbut.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That jacket doesn't seem to be a flattering color for your skin tone. But if you are going to wear it go with navy chinos or jeans.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a jacket exactly like this. I've worn navy, medium grey, charcoal, and black (at night) trousers with it. The key to pulling off these with this jacket is to keep the shirt white, and the tie dark and neutral. So the first two ties and the last glen plaid would work well.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really... What CAN'T go with dark grey slacks?!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
for some reason I can't picture brown... so of course I'd say navy or any shade of blue...

now I happen to think it calls for some fun pants, like a forest green, or maroon would look great.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Around the house, I just wear it without slacks

I cant find the pic of the smooth legged guy that is wearing a jacket from the back can someone help me out here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads