• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I buy from Vietnam?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Actually you are wrong. My wife is from Vietnam and she is quite a good surfer. Granted there are no waves in Vietnam but a trip to Sumatra solves that. Surfing is quite popular among those that can afford it.

OP: There is really nothing there in terms of clothing that you would like. If you were buying for a girl, you could get the Ao Dai.
There are a few tailors in Saigon, Hue and Hanoi. Wouldn't like it though.

Tell me you know where the line came from please

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your friend should buy m@t a drink.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Your friend should buy m@t a drink.

+1. If he's lucky, m@t may hook him up w/ the good tailors and the $60 bespoke shoemaker.

Aperipan

Reaction score
what's snake wine?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
what's snake wine?

cheers.

snake20wine1.jpg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
There are a few tailors in Saigon, Hue and Hanoi. Wouldn't like it though.

It's Hoi An where the tourists go for the cheap Vietnamese tailoring. It's all of poor quality. However, if you are not concerned about quality, it can be a fun experience to have something made. Just don't expect anything very good and don't spend much money.

LeicaLad

Reaction score
What about those shoes?

They looked very good, but the images are now gone.

888style

Reaction score
It's Hoi An where the tourists go for the cheap Vietnamese tailoring. It's all of poor quality. However, if you are not concerned about quality, it can be a fun experience to have something made. Just don't expect anything very good and don't spend much money.
Hoi An is the place to go. Few years back, had some cargo paints made for $8-10 a pair. They have served me well on many other activity holidays all over the world. Thought they would fall apart after one holiday trip, but amazingly they hold up pretty nicely. For the price you pay, you simply can't go wrong.

And for some inspiration watch this Top Gear Vietnam special. Absolutely hilarious.

Part 1

Part 2

MHH89

Reaction score
I hope your friend is not a fan of Russian roulette.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They make some really nice shoes for Japanese and Australian shops.

mdavie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
They make some really nice shoes for Japanese and Australian shops.
I have friends who travel there just to get custom dress shoes made. They live in the region so flights aren't expensive, but if you are going there anyways, I'd get 3-4 pairs made while you are there. ------------------------------------------------------------------- www.jamesvii.com

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer

Silk silk silk. Get some silk PJs made, and also get the measurements for bedsheets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads