• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes am I still missing in my little collection?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after all this pretty interesting debate.

Should one buy a pair of black loafers if he doesn't have a pair? They seem to be very versatile for suits, sportcoats and other combinations.

loafers under suits in the Netherlands? LOL

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends, it's OK in the Hague, less so in Rotterdam. I've seen quite a few minimalist sneakers under suits lately...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Should one buy a pair of black loafers if he doesn't have a pair? They seem to be very versatile for suits, sportcoats and other combinations.

I wear black tassel loafers all the time, but someone else might find they don't work for them. I think black tassel loafers look great in any outfit where you can imagine a black knit tie, which is most tailored outfits.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Of course everything you wrote here is accurate, but you might be conflating “dating” and a more casual situation or encounter. In the latter case, being more well dressed than your competition could in fact be enough to sway the situation in your direction.

Unfortunately that financially driven casual scenario is now impossible for me: I blew my last paycheck on black John Lobb City 2's and a 6x1 Cifonelli in 110% vicuna to mimic my hero Alexander Kraft, so this plan you describe tends to fall apart as soon as the valet guy pulls up with my 2008 Camry, and then she sees that I am unable to tip him well, for good measure. The ones that do make it all the way back to my house often balk at the sight of my Welsh roommate Gethin emerging from the shared bathroom wearing nothing but a dirty t-shirt and shower shoes, because I have to share living spaces with furloughed bartenders. If you're gunning for Huntman poon on a Combat Gent budget, you're gonna eventually get found out as nothing but an empty suit.

Single monk is a description of a shoe and my lifestyle.
:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

I think most monks have more money than I do after my middle-class bougie ass "invested" in a bunch of depreciating assets that I literally stand in. And that's just those Corgi socks.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear black tassel loafers all the time, but someone else might find they don't work for them. I think black tassel loafers look great in any outfit where you can imagine a black knit tie, which is most tailored outfits.

That sounds very nice but I suppose I am that “someone else.” If I were to have only one tasseled loafer, it would be in burg or brown shell and thus (to me) more versatile. My second would be (and is) in a snuff suede. Again, very versatile for me.

I suppose versatility is a function of someone’s creativity and/or personal preference and/or thoughts on congruency. Because of my preference to not wear loafers with a suit, along with my lack of interest wearing black footwear below the suit level of formality, a black loafer would be of limited use to me. A tiny purple area of my Venn diagram. Reserved perhaps for blazer & grays and a black tie. A niche shoe of sorts that would look great in certain contexts but in a relatively smaller number of situations compared to you. It is obviously a much more useful shoe for you (and many others given that there is no shortage of excellent shoe companies selling a black tassel loafer).

cheers.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi gentlemen,

I am new on this forum and still trying to find my way!

I am a silent reader from the Netherlands (31 y) and for the past three years I have started to dress better. That means chinos, dress shoes and beautiful jackets. Recently I have expanded my shoe collection but I feel like it is not quite complete yet. What am I missing? Advice is appreciated!

View attachment 1488016

Top right to top left: Dark brown Carlos Santos, Dark brown/bordeaux Society Shop, Dark brown suede monks Society shop, Grey Magnanni loafers.

Bottom left side to bottom right side: Cognac Santoni, Brown/chili Suitsupply, Cognac Francesco Benigno, Cognac Magnanni loafers.

View attachment 1488018
So...Adam, are you still with us or have you abandoned SF after your initial foray into the depths of CM?
What do you think your next shoe will be?

Side note, have spent a little time in the Netherlands and think they have one of the best coffee cultures I know of. Ristretto is my favorite form of espresso and found it on menus of almost every coffee shop we visited. High level of quality and consistency in the coffee shops tried.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Here's some black shell Aldens with off-white corduroys, dark grey herringbone SC, black and gray tattersall and black knit tie.
IMG_5781.jpeg

I'd wear that or some variation a few times each fall/winter. Here's a pic w/ a dark gray fresco suit, same shoes and tie for a summer funeral in CA:
IMG_6117.jpeg

I definitely get more wear out of the same model of loafer in #8 shell or dark brown suede. But I wear these way more than black oxfords, mainly bec. I wear a SC and tie for work, but a suit just a couple times a year. They go well w/ faded blue jeans or khakis too.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did SF become the sort of place where black shoes are being argued against because they look "too formal" for a funeral or for evening clothes? Or that suits are unfashionable when they're in basically every single collection from any designer?

I've seen Reddit threads with more gumption.

notdos

Reaction score
How did SF become the sort of place where black shoes are being argued against because they look "too formal" for a funeral or for evening clothes? Or that suits are unfashionable when they're in basically every single collection from any designer?

I've seen Reddit threads with more gumption.

Wondered why this thread was sooo long. Black shoes are only for weddings and funerals.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For my part, I'm sorry the issue now is black shoes. I kept checking the thread just to see whether I could find further advice on how to get laid...
Have you tried contacting the shoe manufactures directly for this information. Think the advice is based on what last you prefer not color or type of leather. They will guide you

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my part, I'm sorry the issue now is black shoes. I kept checking the thread just to see whether I could find further advice on how to get laid...

Well, nothing says desperate like yet another brown shoe.

:rimshot:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads