What shoe care brands do you use?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

What products and brands do you prefer for your shoes? Is Kiwi fine for my new AEs, or do you know of something better?

2. Kazou

Kazou Senior member

I have used both Kiwi and Saphir brand wax polish and polishing cream. Also use Saphir Creme Universelle Leather Balm to condition the leather. Honestly the difference is not that big between any of the brands be they Melitonians, Kiwi, Saphir or what. Some would argue that there is but for me they all work. More importantly is how you are polishing the shoes. Good technique goes a long way. Did you heat the wax prior to using, are you applying in small areas and in a smooth even layer etc. Also invest in a decent brush. Otherwise Kiwi should be fine. Becareful with the creams though as they darken the shoes a bit (but great if you're trying to create some patinas)

3. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

What products and brands do you prefer for your shoes? Is Kiwi fine for my new AEs, or do you know of something better?

I would order some Saphir from Franco's in Richmond.

4. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

Kiwi and AE.

5. dv3

dv3 Senior member

My cobbler recommended Meltonian. I use it and find it works well but I can't speak for it's long run performance.

6. ryan996

ryan996 Member

I'm a little pampered and am fortunate enough to have a maid that polishes my shoes, so this is an unbiased review from someone that knows nothing about brand appeal.

I've given her John Lobb and Bally polishes, and she says she prefers Kiwi!

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Saphir for the smell, Kiwi for scuff coverage/shine.

As much as I want to like Saphir, I secretly think Kiwi does a better job at what it's meant to do.

8. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Thanks. Let me ask another question, please. One pair is AE Fifth Avenue, Walnut Calf. The walnut color seems to me to be naturally more matte. Should I avoid polish altogether then, and use cream, or use only neutral polish? I'd like to avoid changing the color of the shoe. Is it a good idea to try and keep the natural matte of these shoes? Should I put some shine on the toes and heel, and use neutral elsewhere?

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Up to you, really. You should be able to keep the color of the shoe close regardless of how much shine you prefer. Try using a polish just slightly lighter than the shoe to keep it from darkening.

You can always shine up a matte shoe, or let a shiny one dull down, so it's not permanent either way.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Why not get Allen-Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish in Walnut? It will perfectly match your shoes, and being a mix of wax and cream, it should complement the semi-matte finish of most A-E calfskins. The only downside is that at $9 for a tube, it's kind of expensive compared to Kiwi. I suspect, though, that Kiwi's Tan polish would work pretty well with your A-Es in walnut.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I use Kiwi, Meltonian, and AE.

12. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Thank you for the excellent answers.

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I use Kiwi, Meltonian, and AE.

JayJay,

Have you been here yet?
    Landwerlen Leather Co
    (317) 636-8300
    365 S Illinois St (across from the bus station)
    Indianapolis, IN 46225

Here's a review:

Great source of leather and shoe repair supplies

Shopping at Landwerlen is like stepping into the past. It is a true speciality store which carries leather, leathercraft supplies and tools, and shoe making/repair supplies. Their prices are reasonable and the staff members are knowlegable. For small leather projects, their scrap bins are a great source of unusual pieces at bargain prices. Don't be scared by the dark "historic" building; this place is a gem.

____________________________________________________________________________

I use Meltonian, Kelly, and Lincoln from Landwerlen. I just received some Saphir from Franco's.

14. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

Saphir and KIWI

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Woly for cremes Kiwi for polish