• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes! Hilarious. Saw it last night + advanced screening of the Adult Swim cartoon. Movie = great, cartoon, not so much.

I have to say I'm really a big fan of the ironic pulp movies that have been made over the past few years. This along with Grindhouse and Machete are always a good time for me.

I watched Drive last night. I really got pulled in - I'd only planned on watching e first 30 minutes or so, but I wound up watching the whole thing. It's a very interesting movie - and like The Professional, uses a conventional action film storyline to tell a very affecting, human story.
At the last moment I was struck by the similarity to the end of Shane, and on furer reflection I realized that there were a number of similarities in both plot and theme. A quick google showed that I'm not the first to notice this:
"Both films are about unconsummated passion and unspoken love and the way these feelings are channeled into acts of violence."
"Both films position their hero as a silent loner who becomes the protector of a married woman and a small boy. Unable to consummate the relationship with the woman, the hero attempts to protect her husband instead. In the end, he expresses the depth of his love in a violent showdown with a superior force of evil men. Wounded, he rides off into the horizon to an uncertain future, possibly even to his own death.
That, my friends, is a damn love story."
http://www.criminalelement.com/blog...nderness-shane-and-drive-western-noir-romance

I remember thinking the same thing (the similarities between "The Driver" and Shane). The thing that sticks with me about that movie is the music. It's really haunting in some ways and ratchets up the sleeze factor.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Agreed. The soundtrack was really interesting. I also liked the retro style of the credits. Very Miami Vice.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

worth watching?
Surprisingly, yes. It has a cliche plot - loner kid throws party and becomes cool - but all in all, it was funny and worth watching (probably the best of its kind.)

now onto "The Proposition" on netflix, starring Guy Pearce.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprisingly, yes. It has a cliche plot - loner kid throws party and becomes cool - but all in all, it was funny and worth watching (probably the best of its kind.)
now onto "The Proposition" on netflix, starring Guy Pearce.

Love that movie. Danny Huston is one of my favorite actors working today. If he and Michael Sheen made a movie there's a chance I would get overly excited about it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
started watching bullitt last night, was too tired, passed out 5 minutes in. is it as good they say it is?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not gonna watch the scene and spoil it. thanks tho, ill watch it sat night or sunday.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to see Channing Tatum's Magic Mike coz from what I've seen in trailers, it sort of like an inspirational movie about fulfilling dreams.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads