• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1570463
Sunday evening with Mrs GF. Taunt, disturbing and riveting. Sailing close to the edge with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek in the principal detective roles with Jared Leto breathing life into a post Charles Manson psychopath.

Written and directed by John Lee Hancock. Neo Noir at its edge of the seat best.
I was confused by how this movie ended, I may need to re-watch it and pay attention to the little things. Overall thought it was a good movie and it is worth a re-watch!

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scorsese double feature, steadily working my way through his filmography.

DC66FE5F-8D80-45D6-94C3-27B85FC8B5A8.jpeg
965FC62B-8FAA-4B7B-86B3-3D83FD359BA9.jpeg

Cape Fear was a good, taut thriller. DeNiro is terrifying as Cady. I prefer Shutter Island as the superior Scorsese thriller.

After Hours was wonderful. I love the general absurdist structure of the single-minded mission going totally awry. Really exciting cinematography and high strung energy that increasingly becomes more paranoid over the course of the movie.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cape Fear hasn’t aged well IMO. I watched it recently and didn’t like it as much as a remember.

I wasn’t a fan of The Little Things. It was well-acted, but there was something missing. The ending was a massive letdown to me. The pacing was weird at the end too.

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree - I have zero interest in revisiting Cape Fear anytime soon. Probably among my least favorite Scorsese movies.

I thought Little Things was middle of the road. Perfectly acceptable serial killer / cop procedural that hits all the right beats and cliches. I thought Malik was not very good in it, though. Good for a weekend stream but hardly a memorable entry in the canon of that type of movie. I love a good procedural thriller, my favorites would be: Memories of Murder, Se7en, Cure, Zodiac, and I guess High and Low? The last one is so good but doesn’t feature a serial killer, just a kidnapper. But it’s foundational to the genre.

I laughed at the “********* is as hard as Chinese Arithmetic” line.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Live and Let Die"

I swear I've seen all the 007 films but this one seems new. Maybe I haven't seen it more than once. I also went through a two-month period where I powered through them so it was probably during that time when I'd've seen it.

Anyway, it's good ****.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched this last night
ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzMxMjI1Njc4LTE5NjgtNGZiMC1iOTQyLTI3MWRkZmEyYWY4YS5qcGc=.jpg

Pretty straightforward story- protagonist has a particular set of skills. Bad guy hurts someone the protagonist loves. Protagonist makes sure bad guy pays. About three quarters of the way through it, I realized I don't enjoy these revenge movies much any more. Maybe it's because as I get older, the idea of vigilante justice bothers me more on a philosophical level. Or maybe it's just that this movie wasn't very good.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
79026CEE-B29C-4A85-8D78-62C4C6612C33.jpeg

Love Tony Scott. Streaming on Hulu. This one is an odd one - I found the first 50 minutes or outside of the initial chase to be kind of uninteresting, and Will Smith to be a bit hammy. The movie absolutely picks up once Gene Hackman gets more involved in the back half. The cast for this one is absolutely incredible; just a murderers row of talent from top to bottom. Like wtf is Jason Robards doing in this for like 3 minutes. Incredible.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cried my way through coming 2 america, ok?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are all bad takes. Coming 2 America was good.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I laughed at the “********* is as hard as Chinese Arithmetic” line.

I thought it was clever the first time I heard it, but apparently, it’s been circulating in movies and TV for awhile. There’s even a Ray Donovan episode called Chinese Algebra.

Not as egregious as the frog and scorpion crossing the river story, which btw — wtf. Seems like that one surfaces about once a week, and every time, the character’s never heard it before. But how? Especially when it appears in two thirds of all ****** movies?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as egregious as the frog and scorpion crossing the river story, which btw — wtf. Seems like that one surfaces about once a week, and every time, the character’s never heard it before.

The first time I remember hearing that parable in a movie was in the excellent "The Crying Game" by Neil Jordan, with Forest Whitaker, Stephen Rea and Jaye Davidson. That was back in the early 1990s.

I'm not actually sure if I've heard it since - but if it often appears in ****** movies, then perhaps that's a good thing!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, good call...

I was trying to think where I’d first heard it — that’s surely it.

Unfortunately, it seems to pop up in every new TV show. For some reason, the jokes irk me, though. Like they should credit whoever first said, She’s so hot, it made my d harder than Chinese algebra!

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the movie was initially written in 1992, so I don't think it's a surprise to see it feels dated or antiquated.

I found the line funny, I don't think it was intended to be comedic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads