• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rewatching Ran. This movie is amazing. Anticipating the ending, possibly the best ending of all time, ever.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really? I thought the first two were entertaining, but I didn't care for the last one.
Didn't like how the movie kept hyping up the trial, like it was some big suspenseful event. Obviously the girl was gonna get off. She got shot three times and buried alive for god's sake. Plus the defense had the **** video the whole time. Maybe if I knew more about the Swedish legal system or something. Also the way the bad guys got there commupance. Just felt contrived. I really think the series is at its best when the girl is out doing jason bourne-type **** and is not just hanging out in a room/cell.

really and truly. obviously you had to know how it was going to end, but i liked how they paced it, how they let the case play out and how everything else in the background all came together.

all in all it was an excellent trilogy.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched 'Her' tonight, masterful movie. Written and directed to boot. I hope producers will get some money back because it will bomb for sure in Amurika.
Great experience.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watched 'Her' tonight, masterful movie. Written and directed to boot. I hope producers will get some money back because it will bomb for sure in Amurika.
Great experience.

I thought Her was superb. I get the impression that the script started out as a much more straightforward commentary on technology, then sort of took on a life of its own.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I quit Her after about 45 minutes. I can't stand Scarlett Johansson or Joaquin Phoenix though so maybe with different people I would have watched the whole thing.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Watched 20 Feet from Stardom on a plane, having missed it in the theaters. Enjoyed it.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Her was superb. I get the impression that the script started out as a much more straightforward commentary on technology, then sort of took on a life of its own.

You might be right , but I got the impression that it covers several subjects well.
Alienation by IT technology (JP's character profession is to write letters for other people)-how sad :) well its better than Hallmark cards.
Identity and existential lonely-together business.
Exclusivity in the relationship and how forced it is. The whole business of marriage (ownership) as a version of property-contract. etc.
Commentary on partnership or marriage between people and how it is all in our heads, body or no body.
And of course death and afterlife, it takes imagination to take on that subject without resorting to platitudes and old fairy-tales.
I quit Her after about 45 minutes. I can't stand Scarlett Johansson or Joaquin Phoenix though so maybe with different people I would have watched the whole thing.

My wife had the same reaction at 41 min :) I stopped watching and then watched it alone a few days later. Try it, you might enjoy it alone . JP was really superb in this.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ive been hearing about people walking out for various reasons. an old man sitting near us got up during the phone sex call; walked down the aisle hurriedly with his popcorn in hand. then when the nude image flashed on the screen, he paused. then took another several steps before the sex scene turned into a 10-15 flash at which time he completely stopped, paused, proceeded to walk to the very bottom and sat in the front alone. finished watching the movie he did :nodding:

Last edited:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really hard to say because 'favorite movie' isn't one that I'm always going to put on when I decide to rewatch a movie. I think out of all the great entertaining movies out there, Network probably has the most take-away -- it's about as close as anyone working with film has ever come to Shakespeare-level insight and eloquence. It's first and foremost entertaining, simultaneously sincere and ridiculous, and one viewing simply isn't sufficient nor exhaustive. It's possibly the only movie I've ever seen that's rich enough to be seen differently with repeat viewings, which is rather remarkable for something on a recorded medium.

Once Upon a Time in America?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Watched 20 Feet from Stardom on a plane, having missed it in the theaters. Enjoyed it.

this was excellent.

as was network. a movie i need to watch again to better appreciate

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads