• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What loake oxfords to get?

krav

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm putting together my first formal outfit and I need help with the shoes. I'm looking at loake 200 and 747 as they're both in my price range. The suit is a dark grey/black 2 buttons. Which one is the better choice? Thanks in advance.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm quite certain Loake 200 was the shoe I bought last year through Joseph Turner, at first not realizing they didn't even brand it "Joseph Turner". Anyway, I was unsatisfied as the shoe appeared cheap to me, so I returned it.

As for the 747 I don't know. Many people here will probably tell you that the only acceptable Loake collection would be the 1880 collection. I'm inclined to agree.

If possible, do a re-prioritization in your budget... £145 will get you a better pair of Loakes.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped buying Loake 2 years ago since I moved to other brands. I have a few pairs from the 1880 collection and I did not pay more that £100 for them. Either from ebay, www.ctshirts.co.uk, www.herringshoes.co.uk (check the sales/clearance) or www.pediwear.co.uk.

I have the Dorchester in tan and would recommend anything in the elegant Mayfair last.

For about the same price range, I preffer Cheaney or Grenson Rose.

krav

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for your replies. Are there any other shoes/brands you can recommend that are of around the same price? Please bear in mind that I'm still a student and will most likely only wear them twice a year at most.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I urge you to reconsider your initial choices. Do not take it that people in this forum are trying to get you to overspend. Many of us are also restricted by budgets and financial responsibilities that limit our choices, it is just that a lot here are not enamored of cheaper shoes made with corrected grain as they tend to age badly, crease terribly and don't break in as comfortably and as such are not as economically attractive a purchase. For the price of one or a few dinner meals more, you could acquire a shoe that would be better looking, durable and more comfortable, leading you to use them more frequently.

From your original selection, it seems you are looking for a black captoe, which is a fine first choice for dress shoes. Even as a student who sees little use for these shoes, you would benefit from having a decent black captoe in calf for interviews, internships, meetings with potential employers and many other important events.

Look for Loake 1880s on discount, the Loake Wells for example. They only cost a wee bit more over the price of a 747 and are in calf leather, instead of corrected grain. Alternatively, look for shoes on sale (e.g. discontinued, or seconds) on herring shoes, pediwear, shoehealer or even ebay. Some other decent brands than may be found in the £100 to £150 range include grenson, cheaney, alfred sargent as well as rebranded shoes from new and lingwood, shipton and heanage, tyrwhitt. Factory store sales are also ideal.

Lastly, discounted Allen Edmonds (assuming you reside in America).

kenza750

Reaction score
Like clausc, I also own the Loake Dorchester (only in black). I am very very pleased with them. I bought them at pediwear for (only) 113 pounds including shipping (you have to contact them by their price pledge, so they will give you a lower price than everywhere else.

I wear them 3 times a week and untill now, they are comfortable and the quality looks good to me.

I also own the Crockett&Jones Belgrave (handgrades). These are a little more comfortable, but the price is much too high in my opinion.

Conclusion: I would reccomend the Loake 1880. comfortable, good looking, stylish.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a search and you will find your answer. This has been covered countless times.

krav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I urge you to reconsider your initial choices. Do not take it that people in this forum are trying to get you to overspend. Many of us are also restricted by budgets and financial responsibilities that limit our choices, it is just that a lot here are not enamored of cheaper shoes made with corrected grain as they tend to age badly, crease terribly and don't break in as comfortably and as such are not as economically attractive a purchase. For the price of one or a few dinner meals more, you could acquire a shoe that would be better looking, durable and more comfortable, leading you to use them more frequently. From your original selection, it seems you are looking for a black captoe, which is a fine first choice for dress shoes. Even as a student who sees little use for these shoes, you would benefit from having a decent black captoe in calf for interviews, internships, meetings with potential employers and many other important events. Look for Loake 1880s on discount, the Loake Wells for example. They only cost a wee bit more over the price of a 747 and are in calf leather, instead of corrected grain. Alternatively, look for shoes on sale (e.g. discontinued, or seconds) on herring shoes, pediwear, shoehealer or even ebay. Some other decent brands than may be found in the £100 to £150 range include grenson, cheaney, alfred sargent as well as rebranded shoes from new and lingwood, shipton and heanage, tyrwhitt. Factory store sales are also ideal. Lastly, discounted Allen Edmonds (assuming you reside in America).
Is it advisable to wear black oxfords with jeans? I'm a first year college/university student and won't be looking for a proper job or internships for another 3-4 years, I see little use for a pair of quality shoes, I'm just trying to get the most out of my limited budget. However I don't mind spending a bit more but only if it's justifiable.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go for Loake, definitely go for 1880s. I bought a pair of the lesser line and seriously regret it.

For your purpose, you can wear black oxfords with jeans, but I'd strongly recommend raw denim in a trim cut. If you want to get the most out of this shoe, I'd also consider dark brown as a colour.
How about this one: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 ?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Do a search and you will find your answer. This has been covered countless times.

Actually, having read every thread containing the words "loake 1880 tyrwhitt", I can't find a method for distinguishing between the lines online anywhere. And yet, having visited a brick and mortar CT, I can guarantee that there are different lines.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you specify whats your maximum budget and size. Bodiley's is having a 20% sale on some C & J models. You might be able to find an oxford in your size. I just ordered a Hallam 184 GBP delivered to India.

miomall1

Reaction score
Wait, Bodileys is having a sale on some C&J models? Was just at the website and couldn't find anything on it... (?)

krav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
If you go for Loake, definitely go for 1880s. I bought a pair of the lesser line and seriously regret it.

For your purpose, you can wear black oxfords with jeans, but I'd strongly recommend raw denim in a trim cut. If you want to get the most out of this shoe, I'd also consider dark brown as a colour.
How about this one: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 ?

actually I was thinking loake wells as per upnorth's suggestion. do you think it'd go well with jeans as well as my suit?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Actually, having read every thread containing the words "loake 1880 tyrwhitt", I can't find a method for distinguishing between the lines online anywhere. And yet, having visited a brick and mortar CT, I can guarantee that there are different lines.

My comment was to the OP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads