• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of shorts are you waering this summer?

4realyo

Reaction score
Last year I had those Abercrombie 1892 cargo shorts with the strings that hang down and the frayed edges. I know...everybody was wearing those and ended up being a real generic look. I tried to offset it by at leat wearing a cool and unique t-shirt.

OK...what to do this year? I am going to start buying some shorts for spring and summer. What to get?

I don't like the preppy, neat look with pressed khaki pleated shorts, and I don't want to wear athletic, b-ball shorts to a club. Any suggestions?

I am going to NYC next week to stock up for spring/summer clothes.

Thanks.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you wearing shorts to a club?

I don't wear shorts too much, and I guess I lean Trad/preppy when wearing them, but I'm kind of tempted by Trovata's shorts -- especially these. Revolve and activendeavors have them (Barney's co-op likely will, as well). I have an old old pair of Gap shorts with a similar utility feel. If you're in NY, check out APC, they had some interesting non-preppy madras shorts last year, I think; I dunno what they have this year.

The standard streetwear short seems to be milsurp, but they never fit me well, and I can't pull off the oversized/don't-care-how-they-fit thing.
There's always Marc Jacobs (1, 2)
crazy.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really don't think you can do much interesting with shorts. I've looked at the Trovotas but I think they are working too hard to be different. Here's what I recommend:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0006TZHG2

Seriously. After a few washes they look real good. The only problem is they're a bit on the heavy side. If you need a lighter fabric, try JCrew.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up a great pair of Prada bermudas at Yoox at the end of last S/S season. looking forward to wearing those. definitely a step up from the cargos i usually wear. but i also couldn't resist the off-white $20 RL Cargos I got at one of the outlet stores about a month ago.

-Jeff

alflauren

Reaction score
I go with J.Crew flat front chinos. They're cheap (relatively), durable, and come in different lengths.

Babar

Reaction score
I picked up some really nice Prada Sports in grey linen on Yoox last year--my only pair of shorts. I would never wear shorts that don't go down to the knee, and 3/4 length pants usually look a bit silly too imo.

4realyo

Reaction score
Good suggestions--thanks! Gonna check out those D&G, Prada, and maybe those Trovata shorts.

What's "Yoox"?

I didn't mean to write that I wear shorts to a club (sometimes I wish I could, though). I meant wearing shorts out to places other than athletic purposes.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I really don't think you can do much interesting with shorts. I've looked at the Trovotas but I think they are working too hard to be different. Here's what I recommend:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0006TZHG2

Seriously. After a few washes they look real good. The only problem is they're a bit on the heavy side. If you need a lighter fabric, try JCrew.

Second JCrew. Right before break I got two pairs there: orange board shorts for the beach, and some tan ripstop cargo shorts. I usually only wear shorts once a week or so, so a pair lasts me a bunch of seasons.

ineffable

Reaction score
in my experience, prada shorts...well, aren't the greatest. i'd suggest something from purple label ahead of prada (although maybe you're going for that nylon prada sportish look.. don't have any of those shorts. but as far as linen/cotton goes i'd suggest purple label..)

Max

Reaction score
I'll probably make some myself.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
No shorts. I don't wear shorts, ever.

!luc

Same here. I feel like my legs are too hairy :p

Mark_Y

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of shorts either. That being said, my wife and I are headed to Hawaii in a few weeks. I've heard that everyone wears shorts there and to wear pants would really look out of place. Even in the restaurants.

So, I'm looking for some shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads