• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What justifies a $200 flannel shirt

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^I understand Robbies point. Its easier to feel "free & easy" if you dont have to be aware of how expensive something is compared to your income. Thats one reason why I buy and prefer the cheap orginal brands and thrift, compared to repros.

Me3.

pcl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
These threads are always so ******* dumb. Yes, its a personal choice to pay $200 for a Sugarcane or Iron Heart flannel vs a $10 one from Wal Mart, but to question that the $200 is actually 'better' is ******* marsupialed. This is the same stupid **** that flares up in Men's Clothing all the time: yes, the improvement over the two shirt isn't so drastic that purchasing the more expensive one will bag you a supermodel and a free sports car, but to fundamentally question that a difference between the two exists at all and ascribing them as simply different options of 'personal choice' is just plain wrong.

I'm sorry that you have some psychological issue with owning nice things robbie, but that has next to nothing to do with a comparision between the quality of two clearly different products. ****.

Or one can look at it this way - the question is not whether the $200 flannel is worth $200, or that it is extremely nice feel to wear and handsomely cut to look in - it clear can be for all the reasons you cited.

*But* ... should anything in the spirit of streetwear / workwear be at a cost point where no real street kids skating under the overpass or real factory/mill/dock workers can afford to wear them (or in the case of workwear - can real workers of the purported work even fit into the waif like dimensions of the high end workwear makers?)

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pcl
Or one can look at it this way - the question is not whether the $200 flannel is worth $200, or that it is extremely nice feel to wear and handsomely cut to look in - it clear can be for all the reasons you cited.

*But* ... should anything in the spirit of streetwear / workwear be at a cost point where no real street kids skating under the overpass or real factory/mill/dock workers can afford to wear them (or in the case of workwear - can real workers of the purported work even fit into the waif like dimensions of the high end workwear makers?)

Street wear doesn't have to be expensive, but it also doesn't have to be cheap. The term Street wear is based solely on the style of the garment, not price points.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gabby11303
I have a few j crew flannels plus a flat head and iron head flannel. They are so different that you can't even compare them. I don't know if it's a $200 difference, but it's pretty drastic. I can see the flat head/iron head lasting way longer than the J Crew and the material/construction is just sick on them.

'Ironhead' =

01.jpg

Maybe you meant 'Ironheart' or 'Flat Head'.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
Hey guys, what makes $300 jeans special? Why do people pay $250 for a pair of shoes? For that matter, why does a Ferrari cost so much more than a Chevy?

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gabby11303
I have a few j crew flannels plus a flat head and iron head flannel. They are so different that you can't even compare them. I don't know if it's a $200 difference, but it's pretty drastic. I can see the flat head/iron head lasting way longer than the J Crew and the material/construction is just sick on them.

This seems to be true of a lot of things. It may not be $200 difference but there's always going to be a difference between high and low end clothing. At some point you just have to decide when to get the $10 flannel and when to get the $200 flannel and if the price difference matches the quality difference. In this case, it's a flannel shirt...NO!

pepperdanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappysloopy
This seems to be true of a lot of things. It may not be $200 difference but there's always going to be a difference between high and low end clothing. At some point you just have to decide when to get the $10 flannel and when to get the $200 flannel and if the price difference matches the quality difference. In this case, it's a flannel shirt...NO!

you obviously havent handled one of the flat head shirts

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'd like to think God would use his omnipotence to do more than make fun of people on an Internet forum.
fing02[1].gif

God isn't real.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
more expensive materials
but it depends on how you value flannel shirts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads