• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your Favourite Male Style Icon ?

Johnny24

Reaction score
Personally I have always enjoyed the style of these timeless people/characters

Bond (novels/Connery)
Cary Grant
James Dean
Paul Newman
Robert Redford
Steve McQueen
The Duke of Windsor

More modern people/characters
Bond (Craig in both films)
Don Draper
Brad Pitt (Some choices are questionable but for the most part he looks stylish, even more so in Tom Ford on the red carpet. That white dinner jacket and classic waistcoat phototfrom a few years ago was awesome)
Clooney (Same deal as Pitt, he usually nails it over looking the rare flub like a 2 button notch tuxedo)
Tom Ford
Ralph Lauren
Gecko (Interested in seeing the wardrobe in Money Never Sleeps)
Tyler Durden in Fight Club (His clothes were dirty, odd, and totally cool, only he could pull it off and I would never suggest anyone else try it in their personal life. He was the perfect alter ego to his middle management mid-level quality suit wearing persona. I recall the list of brand names Ed Norton was going on about when losing his "respectable" wardrobe and Durden in his mesh Hustler shirt with a smoke hanging out of his mouth was the middle finger to that lifestyle).

Edit: I totally forgot Pierce Brosnan, he looks like he was born wearing a bespoke suit.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Some good choices there but I cannot get away with Brad Pitt. The bloke is a constant sartorial disaster. Anyone like him or that Colin Farrell who wears knit watch caps in LA should be flogged within an inch of their lives. (Loved that bit in Family Guy when Stewie rips into him!) Anyway BP will never be forgiven for showing up to a black tie event in an open neck shirt. And I haven't even started on the frigid chin pubes. Epic fail as the kids these days say.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Some good choices there but I cannot get away with Brad Pitt. The bloke is a constant sartorial disaster. Anyone like him or that Colin Farrell who wears knit watch caps in LA should be flogged within an inch of their lives. (Loved that bit in Family Guy when Stewie rips into him!) Anyway BP will never be forgiven for showing up to a black tie event in an open neck shirt. And I haven't even started on the frigid chin pubes. Epic fail as the kids these days say.

I don't agree with some of Pitt's choices as I said but I have seen some photos of him looking quite pulled together in a casual way, but then again he has been a disaster at other times. I think that comes down to so many people sending him free stuff that he sometimes wears things that look awful just because he has too many options and yes men around him. I don't recall the open neck at a black tie but I am going to assume that was an Oscar-ish event when he was younger and going for that "rebel" thing most young actors do. I agree black tie is black tie only, but open neck to me is just as bad as a long tie, or a 3-4 button notch tux that many people who have access to people like Tom Ford still chose to wear. Speaking of Tom Ford, Pitt has been using his stuff for most black tie events in the past few years (along with Daniel Craig) and they have always looked great and very classic when wearing a Ford tuxedo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads