• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your dream watch?

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Realistic dream watch: Lange Time Zone

Unrealistic dream watch: Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle 2755

picturevacheronconstantko6.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm probably in the minority here but I just can't get excited about Breguet. In my opinion, its Swatch buying over a prestigious old name and nothing more. That is why their ads trumpeting their history annoy me.

I agree with you. Blancpain is much worse than Breguet in this regard; beyond the fact that Swatch merely resurrected an old name, Blancpain was never a particularly notable maker in the first place.

When it comes down to it, though, there just aren't that many old watchmakers that can claim continuous operation.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
It's not like Swatch went back and put Breguet into The Count of Monte Christo or made up the concept of Marie Antoinette's watch. They are just using that to set their marketing apart from other watch makers.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Okay and now that you bring up Blancpain....so it wasn't a masterful watch maker in the past means that the current offerings should be discredited?

It's not like many people that are buying the watches today or criticizing them were their past clients.

I saw a new 8 Day in the window of the Madison Ave boutique that caught my eye.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Blancpain was quite a middling maker in the past.

Another brand I can think of Henry Moser, which was recently revamped.

Lange was resurrected, too. Although more notable, the original company was best known for its pocket watches and never developed an aesthetic for wristwatches. Consequently, the current company's wristwatch movements depend on decorative affectations to tie them to the past.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
So you'd rather see a brand die out forever than get bought and/or re-vamped?

No, but I just wouldn't be willing to pay top $$$ for it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay and now that you bring up Blancpain....so it wasn't a masterful watch maker in the past means that the current offerings should be discredited?

Nah, I don't think Blancpain's lack of a real history discredits the quality of its watches. But the marketing is disingenuous. The claim that they've never made a quartz watch is obviously supposed to convince people of the company's commitment to fine watchmaking, but the ads don't tell you that Blancpain wasn't making mechanical watches for a long time either.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not like Swatch went back and put Breguet into The Count of Monte Christo or made up the concept of Marie Antoinette's watch. They are just using that to set their marketing apart from other watch makers.

It's not like many people that are buying the watches today or criticizing them were their past clients.

I saw a new 8 Day in the window of the Madison Ave boutique that caught my eye.

If they make great watches, they should command great watch prices. I would pay no more for their long history (even if continuous) and no less for their reincarnate status.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
urwerk201_watch.jpg

The UHRWERK Hammerhead watch is quite amazing, as well as the earlier Blackhawk. http://luxist.bligblog.com/2007/01/2...merhead-watch/ UHRWERK create quite unique pices, you either like them or you dont. I find them facinating, but would not want to own one. Its a bit the same with The HEUER Monaco V4, an amazing consept watch. http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collecti...o-v4/index.lbl Its nice to see some advance in anny technology, allthough i prefer simpler pices. I used to have a thing for: IWC Portugese Chrono and Zenith Grande El Primero
jomashop198320305422129sh4.jpg
zenith030520400201c492brw0.jpg
But im past that having had a Portugese, my current interest is peaked by the following: The following 3 are interesting alternatives to the classic Rxxxy Submariner The Chopard L.U.C Pro one GMT and the Grand Seiko GMT And of course the Glashutte Original Sport Evolution As a less sporty watch I find these 2 quite fasinating, allthoug on slightly different budgets. Nomos Glashutte Tangomat.
tangomatimg231e2b5qx0.jpg
tangomatimg53443d3ae6.jpg
And the Chronoswiss Klassik Speed

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parmigiani Fleurier Toric Corrector

0762f60450294d7ba4a5e91as5.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
After the Lange 1 Timezone, the VC Malte Regulator is a very close #2 for me:

vacheron_image_42362.jpg

Montesquieu

Reaction score
After the Lange 1 Timezone, the VC Malte Regulator is a very close #2 for me:

I love that VC, too. This is my extended dream list of realistic watches:

- Lange Time Zone
- VC Dual Time Regulator
- IWC Portuguese Perpetual
- Ulysse Nardin Sonata Dual Time
- Ulysse Nardin GMT Perpetual

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Gold franck Muller Master Banker. I'll try and find a pic somewhere.

DL

My boss wears one. It's a nice watch but I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to wear something with such a cheesy name.

For me it's bertween the Lange Datograph
in_datograph_medium_a_403_035.jpg

and another vote for the Breguet Equation of Time
301.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads