• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is H&M?

Eccentric

Reaction score
H&M is a chain that sells cheap, stylish clothing. It tends to be more stylish than other mall brands, or at least more modern, but you get what you pay for, and that is not much.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good summary by Eccentric.

I'll add that some of us with slim/athletic builds find that H&M cuts work very well, in contrast to other mall brands such as Gap. It can be a great spot to pick up fashion pieces that you won't cry over when they disintegrate two years down the road.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No online store and no store in my state
frown.gif

Shame, I really like the fit of a lot of H&M stuff. Of course, I'd like it if they used better quality matierials - but then I wouldn't be able to afford them, anyway.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW

Shame, I really like the fit of a lot of H&M stuff. Of course, I'd like it if they used better quality matierials - but then I wouldn't be able to afford them, anyway.

Then you want COS - H&M's upmarket store. Similar cuts, very fashion-forward but with quite a few wearable pieces, way better quality than H&M and, yes, a fair bit more expensive.

Very few stores (and I think they're all here in Europe) but worth a look if you're ever near one. I got a couple of shirts from there and a wool tie and really like them.

Metropolis

Reaction score
The clothes last long enough. Sure, they are not going to last you 5-10 years. But, for a year or two - They're ideal.

And, besides - They are SO cheap. You can buy a whole wardrobe for $500. Allows you to stretch your dollar and get great, stylish clothes.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite shirt is from H&M. The fabric is nice and thick but still very soft. The buttons are surprisingly thick and it fits fantastically. Cannot beat the $40 price tag either. Some of their stuff is not nearly as nice though. Very inconsistent quality across the board.

For younger guys who are on the more slender side of the spectrum, and on a budget, H&M is a great option!

Siggy

Reaction score
H&M is one of the most popular clothing stores in Europe, especially with the student crowd. A few years ago H&M moved into the US market as well in select areas. They have good slim shirts for the money and some good ties and other things, such as the occasional jacket and casual wear. They also have a line of suits that are pretty slim and styled and not too bad for the price.

leeson43

Reaction score
can anyone comfirm if the US hnm stuff is better then the UK's...the stuff in england is probably of the lowest quality out of any store here?

Skanstull

Reaction score
I use several H&M suits in my work rotation. They look and wear very well. Some of them has a sturdier fabric which IMHO is good if the suit is a uniform for daily wear. My oldest suit that I still wear is a five year old slim fit grey H&M and it looks great.

I also have several merino wool and cashmere sweaters that are perfectly ok.

Generally the fit is best for slimmer people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads