• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is a sack suit

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
OK, I get it. You don't usually think of the side body as being part of the "back". You think of it as being as much part of the side section. Mostly, that because that's kind of how it behaves in the fitting process.

Forgive my amateur description. Naturally, I defer to your more informed specifics.

- B

doug funnie

Reaction score
Didn't think my question warranted it's own thread so I'll put it here.

I was in the Cambridge JPress the other day and I decided to try on a few of their jackets. I'm 5'8 with a relatively short torso, but a very short waist region. I basically go straight from lats to hips. From powerlifting my chest is 43 inches and my waist 2 inches above my navel is 31 inches. I also have a fairly large butt and quads.

Anyway of all the sizes I tried on, 40 short was just about perfect in the upper chest, lower chest, shoulders, and length. I'm used to a supressed waist so I wasn't 100% digging the sack style, but in retrospect it did allow for better movement and probably looked better through the chest, hips and thigh region. I'm 24 so I'm used to more fitted jackets but I'm starting to think it would be worth having a sack.

Is a sack for a 24 year old a strange choice?

The JPress salesman said that their jackets are fully canvassed, but at $750 for a suit I'm skeptical. Anyone know? How is JPress' quality and what else can be had in a similar price range?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doug funnie
Didn't think my question warranted it's own thread so I'll put it here.

I was in the Cambridge JPress the other day and I decided to try on a few of their jackets. I'm 5'8 with a relatively short torso, but a very short waist region. I basically go straight from lats to hips. From powerlifting my chest is 43 inches and my waist 2 inches above my navel is 31 inches. I also have a fairly large butt and quads.

Anyway of all the sizes I tried on, 40 short was just about perfect in the upper chest, lower chest, shoulders, and length. I'm used to a supressed waist so I wasn't 100% digging the sack style, but in retrospect it did allow for better movement and probably looked better through the chest, hips and thigh region. I'm 24 so I'm used to more fitted jackets but I'm starting to think it would be worth having a sack.

Is a sack for a 24 year old a strange choice?

The JPress salesman said that their jackets are fully canvassed, but at $750 for a suit I'm skeptical. Anyone know? How is JPress' quality and what else can be had in a similar price range?

The last time I was in a J Press, the highest level of suit (the Pressidential, I think they call it?) had canvassed lapels, but that's it. I think that one retails for a grand or more. The lower lines, which were made in Canada, felt absolutely terrible--horrible, stiff fusing and lots of shoulder padding. The overcoats were even worse--made in Mexico, $1000, and felt like cardboard.

Perhaps this has changed, but I'd be very skeptical of what they tell you. Honestly, though it seems less "authentic" in this day and age, if you can find a sack in the 1818 line at Brooks, it's a better suit for a comparable price (when stacked with a coupon).

Someone posted a thread earlier about how Nick Hilton is re-releasing a Norman Hilton-branded line of sack coats that purport to completely unpadded in the shoulders, with a light chest lining, and fully canvassed, starting at $695. May be too good to be true, but I'd keep your eye out for that unless you're in a rush to get a sack suit.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd forgotten how great my contribution to this thread was.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I'd forgotten how great my contribution to this thread was.

This happens to me all the time.

- B

BBC

Reaction score
Nick Hilton just re-launched a line of sack sport coats under his father's name. They look very good (3" lapels, swelled edges, narrow flaps), but are missing some of the details of the original Hiltons like lapped edges on the sleeve and shoulder seams and I wish they had patch hip pockets.

http://www.nickhilton.com/normanhilton/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads