• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What have people done to be banned?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not asking because I intend to test the threshold in anyway. I'm much more of a lurker of the Men's Style section.

As I go through older posts, I occasionally notice some members (even those with high post counts) have been banned. In some cases, their comments to make them appear to be a bit of a twat (in which case, I can extrapolate and assume some extreme twatness led them to be banned), but in other cases, they seem reasonable (with an admittedly small sample of a few posts, so...)

Yeah, what do some people do to get banned on this forum?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trolls/racists/rule breakers....

i could get you a list if you like. :hide:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i could get you a list if you like.
peepwall[1].gif

I actually would. I was sort of disappointed in the lack of informative responses. Just like a few examples would be really cool. I've not been active on a forum since...well...ever...and trying to get a feel for this place.

Again...as a fairly conservative person, I don't plan on pushing any boundaries.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
youre gonna have to some research. search well, and you will find.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you had balls you'd create a memorial thread to all banned members with links or explanations to why they were cast off.

maybe ill do that. there is nothing i could think off that would be better than, a "stitch is a gross creeper," outbreak to arise again. :plain:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
People are banned for being assholes, typically repeatedly.

There are several behaviors that will get you an automatic timeout. Example: posting nudity (no nips, no bush, no franks, no beans). These sorts of infractions result in 1 to 2 week timeouts, i.e. temporary bans. If you were to cross this line repeatedly in a fashion that made it clear you were just being an annoying dick, you could get a permanent ban.

Racism is the other big no-no around here. If you start calling someone out for being a jew, expect a ban. Depending on the severity of the infraction, you might get only a timeout, but **** that up twice, and you should probably start focus grouping new handles.

In other cases, the bans are more subjective. There was a gentleman some time ago who had strong opinions on clothing, so strong that he quite vilified several other members and generally became a scourge. He could not play nicely in the sandbox, and finally was thrown out. Another gentleman, who now posts under a different name, trolled many people, including mods, and eventually they got tired of his act. His new incarnation is more respectful.

Spammers are also banned, but in most cases they are instantly banned and their posts are deleted, so you won't see their legacy posts hanging around.

The general rule is that SF is like a bar. We take all comers, but at a certain point, if you're enough of a dick, you're going to get thrown out. Act like a dick to the bartenders (moderators), and you may find yourself on your ass in the street on an even quicker trigger.

Most will note that moderation here is pretty fair. If anything, the complaint is that moderators are too slow to pull the trigger.

So, with kindness, please don't be a jerk.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll add the following:

Sometimes, the posts you read may seem innocuous enough - that can often be the case; that's how you'd get to a high post count before being deleted. But every once in a while somebody just loses their **** and has a meltdown, and buh-bye. They can be a good member for a long time and then just break. It happens. So what you're seeing may be posts from before they crossed the line that resulted in a ban.

Pro tip: You can generally see a person's most recent posts by clicking on their name and selecting "All Posts." This shows posts in reverse chronological order. Typically, the posts that get someone banned are amongst their very last, so you may see some of the leadup. The weakness to this method is that sometimes the ban-worthy post, for example if it's a racist post, may have been deleted entirely and you cannot see it. And in some cases entire threads have been squirreled.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
douglas just sent me a text, that if it was a post, he would be banned.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

douglas just sent me a text, that if it was a post, he would be banned.

Was it a Goodbye Dear Stitch text?

I hate getting those.

oh, wait. I know what it was. I'm shocked.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads