1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What have people done to be banned?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Claghorn, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not asking because I intend to test the threshold in anyway. I'm much more of a lurker of the Men's Style section.

As I go through older posts, I occasionally notice some members (even those with high post counts) have been banned. In some cases, their comments to make them appear to be a bit of a twat (in which case, I can extrapolate and assume some extreme twatness led them to be banned), but in other cases, they seem reasonable (with an admittedly small sample of a few posts, so...)

Yeah, what do some people do to get banned on this forum?

2. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

They just be miran all day.

3. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Fade to Black was the coolest guy to ever get banned.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

trolls/racists/rule breakers....

i could get you a list if you like. :hide:

2 people like this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually would. I was sort of disappointed in the lack of informative responses. Just like a few examples would be really cool. I've not been active on a forum since...well...ever...and trying to get a feel for this place.

Again...as a fairly conservative person, I don't plan on pushing any boundaries.

6. in stitches

youre gonna have to some research. search well, and you will find.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

If you had balls you'd create a memorial thread to all banned members with links or explanations to why they were cast off.

8. in stitches

maybe ill do that. there is nothing i could think off that would be better than, a "stitch is a gross creeper," outbreak to arise again. :plain:

1 person likes this.
  9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

People are banned for being assholes, typically repeatedly.

There are several behaviors that will get you an automatic timeout. Example: posting nudity (no nips, no bush, no franks, no beans). These sorts of infractions result in 1 to 2 week timeouts, i.e. temporary bans. If you were to cross this line repeatedly in a fashion that made it clear you were just being an annoying dick, you could get a permanent ban.

Racism is the other big no-no around here. If you start calling someone out for being a jew, expect a ban. Depending on the severity of the infraction, you might get only a timeout, but fuck that up twice, and you should probably start focus grouping new handles.

In other cases, the bans are more subjective. There was a gentleman some time ago who had strong opinions on clothing, so strong that he quite vilified several other members and generally became a scourge. He could not play nicely in the sandbox, and finally was thrown out. Another gentleman, who now posts under a different name, trolled many people, including mods, and eventually they got tired of his act. His new incarnation is more respectful.

Spammers are also banned, but in most cases they are instantly banned and their posts are deleted, so you won't see their legacy posts hanging around.

The general rule is that SF is like a bar. We take all comers, but at a certain point, if you're enough of a dick, you're going to get thrown out. Act like a dick to the bartenders (moderators), and you may find yourself on your ass in the street on an even quicker trigger.

Most will note that moderation here is pretty fair. If anything, the complaint is that moderators are too slow to pull the trigger.

So, with kindness, please don't be a jerk.

3 people like this.
  10. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I'll add the following:

Sometimes, the posts you read may seem innocuous enough - that can often be the case; that's how you'd get to a high post count before being deleted. But every once in a while somebody just loses their shit and has a meltdown, and buh-bye. They can be a good member for a long time and then just break. It happens. So what you're seeing may be posts from before they crossed the line that resulted in a ban.

Pro tip: You can generally see a person's most recent posts by clicking on their name and selecting "All Posts." This shows posts in reverse chronological order. Typically, the posts that get someone banned are amongst their very last, so you may see some of the leadup. The weakness to this method is that sometimes the ban-worthy post, for example if it's a racist post, may have been deleted entirely and you cannot see it. And in some cases entire threads have been squirreled.

2 people like this.
  11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

We should ban the people who post those "I'm leaving the forum forever" posts.

1 person likes this.
  12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. Yep, to help them leave and stay away.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Man, those are some of my favorite posts. I wish there were more of them.

14. in stitches

douglas just sent me a text, that if it was a post, he would be banned.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Was it a Goodbye Dear Stitch text?

I hate getting those.

oh, wait. I know what it was. I'm shocked.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  16. in stitches

as was i, t bird. as. was. i.

17. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

My good friend AF used to have some good ones.
    As for others, sometimes really egregious politics will get you banned. Remember "A Thing for Cashmere?"

Good thing we don't ban for improper subjunctives. :lol: (j/k)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ive never been banned permanently but i was in a temp ban for posting a nutsack with a smiley face drawn on it with a sharpie. man, that was a lonely 3 months.

19. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I got a timeout for a month I think it was for suggesting that undertaking a nonconsensual abortion was not necessarily immoral; I found it odd since I was just posting a thought and I'm far from an ad hominem or snarky poster unlike most people here. A few people came to my defense but it was too late.

20. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Did you explain your opinion or just state that?