• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hats could a young guy actually wear?

noahsdev

Reaction score
I am in university and there are some days where my hair just refuses to do the right thing and I have to wear a beanie which I don't particularly like to do. I usually wear chinos, jeans or dress pants with a button-up shirt, tie, sweater, blazer or suit jacket in different combinations. What hats could I wear without looking like a homosexual (no problem with gays, just don't want girls thinking I am one) or like I'm trying too hard?
Thanks
P.S please don't suggest snapbacks, I hate them with a passion.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you using gel or something? Sometimes I don't have to use anything, sometimes I use a little bit, and sometimes I have to use some strong stuff.

Trying to wear a hat at our age is tricky -- it often looks affected to wear a dressier hat, but more casual hats don't look quite right with dressier clothing. I've just accepted that I look affected to some people when I wear what I like.

Also, if you'll permit me to give some unsolicited feedback, but if you don't want people to think you've got an anti-gay attitude, then "something that could be taken the wrong way" + "apology" is really not as good as just writing something that doesn't have a questionable ring to it in the first place.

julius12

Reaction score
The only type of hat that's less casual and better looking than a snapback and not as dressy as a fedora is a flat cap. Either a classic driver/ivy cap, or go for the more streamlined duckbill/pub cap. Check out how it's worn by Daniel Craig, Brad Pitt, and Ryan Reynolds. David Beckham likes the fuller Baker Boy style flat cap but it seems harder to pull off. Flat caps won't go well with suits though, but I think would go fine with casual unstructured blazers without a tie.

noahsdev

Reaction score
Trying to wear a hat at our age is tricky -- it often looks affected to wear a dressier hat, but more casual hats don't look quite right with dressier clothing. I've just accepted that I look affected to some people when I wear what I like.

Also, if you'll permit me to give some unsolicited feedback, but if you don't want people to think you've got an anti-gay attitude, then "something that could be taken the wrong way" + "apology" is really not as good as just writing something that doesn't have a questionable ring to it in the first place.
I've found the same.
Fair point but I only said it because I thought it was valid to the question and it is difficult to convey tone via ASCII characters.

Quote:
I don't much like the style David Beckham wears but I will give the others a try. Thanks.

ganogreted

Reaction score
Flat caps won't go well with suits though, but I think would go fine with casual unstructured blazers without a tie.
20.gif

Last edited:

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
There is so much wrong with the OP that it's hard to know where to start.

1. If you're dressing like the people in the forum at university, you're doing something very wrong. Even if you were somehow able to dress sharper than Butler (but you don't), you'd be a weirdo and a pariah. Don't waste your youth being overly affected. You can dress well without having to wear a tie to class. Stick to the more casual end and wear a ballcap. Otherwise no one will ****************.

2. There is no reason to hate a ballcap. They have a time and a place. Which are when you're at a ballgame or rolling into class late because you're hungover (or still drunk) from the night before. If this isn't how you're approaching college, you're making a mistake.

3. No one will think you're gay for wearing a non-ballcap. They'll think you're a ******* weirdo. A reddit, PUA misogynist. You're young, embrace it. You'll have plenty of time later to dress like an old man.

4. If you're worried that people will mistake you for a homosexual you have way bigger problems than a hat. Funny that you're in such a rush to look mature on the outside when you're mentality is that of a child. Grow up.

And finally....

If you have to ask, don't.

nmoore82

Reaction score
Sounds like you dress very smart for a student.

When I was at uni, I pretty much lived in the same two pairs of jeans, rotated about 4 tees, one or two shirts for hitting the clubs and one battered pair of Converse all stars. Hats was a beanie from H&M for when I just fancied wearing one that given day. My flat mate had a pair of clippers so I'd get him to shave my head if my hair would get annoying.

steven1298

Reaction score
If it is very hot and you are wearing shorts and a nice shirt you would be able to pull off a Panama Hat.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

"Class is for men and swag is for boys. This hat is for what cool people wear and you can't even figure it out. So next time think before you do trolling. I implore you to do a little thinking, if that's even possible. You're just a stupid swag idiot. THIS IS CLASS. And that's all I got to say to you stupid ass haters. You don't know fashion and you don't know anything about this world! GTFOffline. Listen, log off idiots!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads