• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happened to Kilgour?

jester

Reaction score
I know it's a long way from being the classic bespoke tailor Kilgour, French & Stanbury, but in recent years Kilgour has still made some good RTW stuff. But their website has read "Sale Now One" (with the typo) for months, and their stock is almost nonexistent. What happened to the company?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

djohns7275

Reaction score
I know it's a long way from being the classic bespoke tailor Kilgour, French & Stanbury, but in recent years Kilgour has still made some good RTW stuff. But their website has read "Sale Now One" (with the typo) for months, and their stock is almost nonexistent. What happened to the company?

djohns7275

Reaction score
When Kilgour introduced a ready to wear range it was fantastic , it was designed by a guy named Carlo Brandelli . The original makers of the suits were a Hong Kong based tailors named William W Yu . Then they moved their production to D'avenza which were equally as nice .

I believe they were bought out by a Dubai based investment company , and Carlo Brandelli left . From then on the both the quality and designs went rapidly down hill , which in turn led to the closure of the shop .It was another case of investors thinking they know best .They changed the design and quality, and balls it all up .

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
It is one of the saddest stories on the Row. They were my ticket into real tailoring. Bought RTW from them from 2001 (an amazing 4x1 DB grey flannel suit that eventually found A new owner with another forum member), then the Brandelli RTW (still have an umbrella from that era), before venturing into bespoke with their overseas bespoke program from 2005 onwards. The cutter back then was Campbell Carey and he made me a few great suits. Eventually - in 2008 or so - moved to softer tailoring with Steed, but still have very fond memories of those pieces. And a phenomenal history as well. Really a shame

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads