• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What exactly is a blown seam?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see this expression used around here sometimes, but can't quite figure out what it means.

I'm wear a jacket on which I just noticed that the inside edge of the quarters has gotten a little funny--the shell material that used to be on the inside edge of the front seems to be bagging a bit, and has a tendency to roll out, making it the new "edge" of the quarter.

Is this a blown-out seam?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A seam is pressed flat after it is sewn. Exposure to humidity can make the creased seam puff up, and if there was fullness worked in to the seam (as is the case in many parts of the garment), the seam may pucker.

This photo was taken at Saks of a Kiton garment. These are blown seams.

The edge of your garment may be rolling because it was exposed to humidity and just needs to be pressed. Or it could be other things.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A seam is pressed flat after it is sewn. Exposure to humidity can make the creased seam puff up, and if there was fullness worked in to the seam (as is the case in many parts of the garment), the seam may pucker.
This photo was taken at Saks of a Kiton garment. These are blown seams.

The edge of your garment may be rolling because it was exposed to humidity and just needs to be pressed. Or it could be other things.

You obviously took that photo for a reason. What are your thoughts on it?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You obviously took that photo for a reason. What are your thoughts on it?

I think that a sales person took a steamer to the suit to take some creases out and that's what resulted. It's dreadful.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will a pressing fix the suit in your picture jeffery? Or is that a permanent issue?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads