• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does this Autumnal classic casual look need to elevate it to SF standards?

KOz

Reaction score
Ok, another day, another pair of grey trousers, these also need altering for length but, apart from that, do they look better as part of this outfit than the first pair of (light) grey trousers in the first post?

The jeans are too tapered. This has the following effect:
  • Highlights narrow hips and makes you look too top heavy.
  • Doesn't sit well on the shoes and actually makes the shoes look too big.
Additionally, they're too light and would look better in indigo.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
The jeans are too tapered. This has the following effect:
  • Highlights narrow hips and makes you look too top heavy.
  • Doesn't sit well on the shoes and actually makes the shoes look too big.
Additionally, they're too light and would look better in indigo.
Sorry, as stated above, I didn't actually mean to post the jeans pic!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you talking about the blue jeans? I didn't actually mean to post that pic! I was after feedback on the mid grey trousers in the same post

Nope. Was referring to the slacks.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
So the jacket is on the long side. That's not bad, a lot of guys really love long jackets, and I think a long jacket might work pretty nicely on you, especially if you're going for a generally relaxed vibe. But you have to proportion the rest of the outfit accordingly.

I like more relaxed trousers in general, but I think taht, specifically, for that jacket length, more relaxed trousers will create a more coherent silhouette. Geometrically, they might meet the jacket at the hem of the jacket, or at least create a smaller discontinuity. Aesthetically, they might fit an overall more relaxed vibe. In terms of specific aesthetics, a long jacket and relaxed trousers might fit a particular vintage decade, like 50s. Look through mens vintage style by decade (Ethan Wong's blog is the place to do that). If you only read one article, make it this one about proportions and silhouette. You don't have to follow any of the specific silhouettes he likes, but appreciating his though process will at least help you think more critically about proportion and make more coherent outfits.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Oh, another note. The shirt in your first photo... The collar isn't sitting great. It's sitting kind of... forward, closed, small. Maybe opening another button would help it sit better, closer to the jacket, open, more of a frame, more dimensionality.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Oh, another note. The shirt in your first photo... The collar isn't sitting great. It's sitting kind of... forward, closed, small. Maybe opening another button would help it sit better, closer to the jacket, open, more of a frame, more dimensionality.

Yes, this shirt has a rather smaller collar than most of my OCBDs, which are from Drakes and I guess just a different style - the cream one in that first pic is brushed cotton rather than Oxford cloth so I guess it's a different aesthetic but I really like the texture.

Anyway a few small changes - switched to a OCBD (white, unfortunately I don't have a cream) , new shoes which are suede derbies, and threw on a dark olive cashmere scarf to add another layer of colour. Any better? (Unfortunately I still don't have another pair of tailored trousers that are a match for this jacket, despite their noted shortcomings).

PXL_20221025_114807754.jpg
PXL_20221025_115130335.jpg
PXL_20221025_114826293.jpg PXL_20221025_115042125.jpg

I also decided to make a more casual wear version of the same outfit with the jacket and trousers switched for jeans and a bomber. How does this look?

PXL_20221024_125355883.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Yes, this shirt has a rather smaller collar than most of my OCBDs, which are from Drakes and I guess just a different style - the cream one in that first pic is brushed cotton rather than Oxford cloth so I guess it's a different aesthetic but I really like the texture.

Anyway a few small changes - switched to a OCBD (white, unfortunately I don't have a cream) , new shoes which are suede derbies, and threw on a dark olive cashmere scarf to add another layer of colour. Any better? (Unfortunately I still don't have another pair of tailored trousers that are a match for this jacket, despite their noted shortcomings).

View attachment 1848467
View attachment 1848468
View attachment 1848469 View attachment 1848473

I also decided to make a more casual wear version of the same outfit with the jacket and trousers switched for jeans and a bomber. How does this look?

View attachment 1848475

yeah, this is an improvement. I still think you could go higher rise / more relaxed with your trousers, but I'm a sucker for relaxed cuts.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
yeah, this is an improvement. I still think you could go higher rise / more relaxed with your trousers, but I'm a sucker for relaxed cuts.

I am into relaxed cuts at the moment, too. I am just having difficulty finding trousers that match with this jacket - specifically a grey flannel - in the sort of relaxed fit I want. These aren't too far off - they are actually pretty high rise (hard to tell in the pics I've posted, I know, because of my jacket being done up, and the scarf) although they do need to be hemmed to my length. They are not as relaxed as I would ideally like, though!
Everywhere with trousers I like, and that fit what I am looking for (mid grey, flannel, high rise, relaxed fit, single pleat), and that are in budget, seem to be out of stock at the moment though. I'm scouring ebay daily, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads