• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does this Autumnal classic casual look need to elevate it to SF standards?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Yes .. trousers shortened, I know!
As far as I can tell though everything else is on point, from what I've learned from lurking this forum for a year or so...

Everything fits me ok(?)
Complementary colours ...brown/beige/grey
Congruous level of formality between all the items - everything is on the casual side.
Mix of cloths for visual interest - tweed,brushed cotton, flannel, suede - but all within the Autumnal lexicon.

It doesn't look quite "there" though to my eye. Is it just the unfinished trousers?
Is it missing something? A tie / square (don't think so, it should be possible to pull off this casual look without them, right?)
Is it just TOO put together? Like I've followed the rules to a tee so there's no individual flair?
Or am I just being too over-critical and it's fine?

Edit: The belt! I need a better belt right?
PXL_20221011_123801335.jpg

PXL_20221011_123844730.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally I think it’s fine. A couple thoughts for what they’re worth:

1 - the trousers need help. Maybe tailoring the length is all they need, but I feel like they’re too tight and might never drape how you want.

2 - hard to tell, but you maybe have a warm brown jacket and cool (bluer) grey trousers. Darker grey would look better (imo), or those trousers with a blue jacket.

3 - I think a blue and/or striped shirt would be better but that’s just personal preference. I never wear white unless it’s super casual (with jeans, no sport coat) or with a suit and tie.

4 - belt is awful.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think you are right about needing slightly darker grey trousers, now you mention it I think that's a pretty big part of why the outfit doesn't quite look right to my eyes.

The shirt is actually a creamy off-white that, to me, in the flesh (i.e not a poorly lit photo) looks really nice with the brown of the jacket. Finding a matching trouser and shoes for this particular jacket/shirt combo was what started me on this outfit.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I think it's the silhouette that may be off. I agree the trousers are a bit slim, and I think they would benefit for a tad higher rise, at least if you want a more classic silhoutte. The contemporary cut, with lower rise trousers and shorter jackets tends to draw attention to the mid section - the part where most men today do not want too close an inspection.

This isn't huge, and the effect might be enhanced by you wearing your hands in your pockets, lifting the jacket. But I think that's the main thing that detracts from the look.

Oh, and the belt. You definitely want a belt when your trousers have belt loops. But that belt looks more at home with faded denim.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Complementary colours ...brown/beige/grey
Congruous level of formality between all the items - everything is on the casual side.
Mix of cloths for visual interest - tweed,brushed cotton, flannel, suede - but all within the Autumnal lexicon.

Checking the boxes and 'following the rules' are important but you can't ignore the details. You are treating the fact that the trousers are too long as almost an afterthought, but it is not. Like some others, I suspect the trousers may be a little too slim and the rise too short, but that is not nearly as important a problem as the trousers being too long.

The jacket fits nicely. Try undoing another button on that shirt. Agree that the belt does not go with the outfit.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Are these trousers a better cut/fit? Obviously had to change the jacket too as these wouldn't have gone with the brown tweed ...
If these are better will probably just get another pair of these but in mid grey. PXL_20221012_152254687.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are these trousers a better cut/fit? Obviously had to change the jacket too as these wouldn't have gone with the brown tweed ...
If these are better will probably just get another pair of these but in mid grey. View attachment 1843269

Much better!

Just look at the 2nd pic in your 1st post where the shirt meets the belt and pants......and compare it to how clean it looks in this pic.

The pants in the 1st submission is way off, in my opinion. 2nd look is WAY better!

KOz

Reaction score
The shoes in the second picture also fit better - the ones in the first picture are too round/bulbous.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
The shoes in the second picture also fit better - the ones in the first picture are too round/bulbous.

Probably you can't tell because of the poor lighting but they aren't actually shoes, they are chukka boots.
I agree the other shoes look better with the smartness of the trousers and jacket though.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Ok, another day, another pair of grey trousers, these also need altering for length but, apart from that, do they look better as part of this outfit than the first pair of (light) grey trousers in the first post?

PXL_20221019_123135006.jpg

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, another day, another pair of grey trousers, these also need altering for length but, apart from that, do they look better as part of this outfit than the first pair of (light) grey trousers in the first post?

View attachment 1846274

Better than the first pic, but not the Oct 12 post/pic.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1846274

I personally don't like pants that tapered.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AFLAN