• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think to the fit of this jacket?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Is that Jacket the top half of a "Skinny suit"? (shudders) . honestly, an odd Jacket can work. on occaisions. but that one looks like it's from a pencil thin suit. and generally not lending itself to the excuse of "It's comfortable" because it looks like an attempt to be more formal, instead of just putting it on because you like it.

if you must make do with this : skinny or slim jeans, dark. and a solid T-shirt, grey preffered. with some chealsea boots, or your favorite sneakers. (cleaned).

it fits you as it was intended to. 0.5 of an inch long in the arms is no drama. and the short cut is to make you appear taller. this style will find few likes here. i can sum it up by saying instead of using the Jacket to appear more formal, try other items to make it look more casual. post a fit and see if it's better.

or ignore my thoughts, if you like. though various opinions can help you to come to your own decision.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Depends, on where you work, and your rank at work. regardless, you want to be seen as "Sharp" and "organized" .
- more than the jacket, i'm drawn to your haircut, and your belt buckle. And i apologize if i'm going to offend you.(now drinking)
tongue.gif
because while some just want to tear you to shreds, I do care. So, "As a whole?" here is my advice. "off the cuff"

1, Do something with your hair. or shave it on a # 2 for a clean look. (even better, ask a Barber. to do their thing)
2, Your rectangular black framed glasses look great with lighter hues. and can be a winner with a grey or blue suit.
3, Pay attention to small details, your belt buckle threw me off more than the jacket/pant combo.
4, If you are in need, hit up the "official Thrift Thread" and post that you need some suits, your size, and state/country. - you will be surprised at how nice these guys are, throw them some cash, they'll send you some suits.

Grooming is everything, Fit is also everything. but get your details right and you can be forgiven for less than perfect fits. because in the real world, people at work care more on your grooming and Fit/comfort. than the make, or fabric of your suit.

Keep that jacket for bars on weekends, destroy the shirt. (sorry) Go back to the drawing board. don't be down on it. get yourself 4 suits you feel good in, (various colors), 3 pairs of shoes, (1 Black,1captoe brown,,1brogue,brown) , A box of random ties.
lol8[1].gif
and white,blue,grey, -whatever... cheap shirts. build on it from there.....

You've been a member for years, you must already know all this. whatever the case, that fit is too sloppy to impress at work. best of luck to you. I would like to see the improved fit.
fing02[1].gif

johnshaw

Reaction score
I'm in IT sales (sell perimeter security solutions to corporate entities).

Re my hair: what would you reccomend I ask my barber a number 2 all over?

The other guys at my work place (the vast majority of business is conducted over the phone with occasional face to face meetings) just tend to wear trousers and a shirt. They never come in with a suit. How do I get this sort of look right? I have a terrible time getting suits to fit because I'm quite skinny so end up purchasing cheapos because cheap high street stores tend to sell my sizes (34r 28w). Should I just buy navy and grey trousers I have about 7 or 8 diffrent shirts mainly in blue with diffrent patters (chequered, Paisley, striped, contrast collar and cuff)

Thanks! Your help is much appreciated

johnshaw

Reaction score
Does this look better? The only problem with this suit jacket is it it flares out from the back significantly. Which jacked do u think fits better this one or my baby one?

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
You'll get much more useful advice if you button your jacket and stand naturally for the pictures.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll get much more useful advice if you button your jacket and stand naturally for the pictures.
+1

May just be your stance in the picture, but your jacket looks a little wide in the shoulders.
I'm in IT sales (sell perimeter security solutions to corporate entities).

Re my hair: what would you reccomend I ask my barber a number 2 all over?

The other guys at my work place (the vast majority of business is conducted over the phone with occasional face to face meetings) just tend to wear trousers and a shirt. They never come in with a suit. How do I get this sort of look right? I have a terrible time getting suits to fit because I'm quite skinny so end up purchasing cheapos because cheap high street stores tend to sell my sizes (34r 28w). Should I just buy navy and grey trousers I have about 7 or 8 diffrent shirts mainly in blue with diffrent patters (chequered, Paisley, striped, contrast collar and cuff)

Thanks! Your help is much appreciated

If you struggle to find suits that fit well, go Made to Measure. Stick to shirts in conservative colours and patterns like white,blue, pink, lilac and stripes.

You've been a registered member for three years, you should have a basic idea of business dress and good fit, no?

Last edited:

redboat

Reaction score
Does this look better? The only problem with this suit jacket is it it flares out from the back significantly. Which jacked do u think fits better this one or my baby one?

Overall, this looks better, more integrated, but the shoulder on the grey jacket looks too wide. The first jacket appears to fit you better is the shoulders, which is the most expensive area to alter, although the sleeves are a little too long. Post photos with your jacket buttoned, and your arms by your side and you'll get more informed replies.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score

It does look much better! even my wife agrees.
fing02[1].gif

I appreciate you not being offended by my drunken honest advice. The suit fits reasonably well, but not perfect. which is what i'm guessing you would like to achieve. - you look clean, and professional.
The other guys are right, soft colors such as Lilac, And soft Blue would look great on you. Sure, see a good Barber. ask them for more personalized advice. a trip to the Barber will do wonders for your feels too!

in Regards to your size, perhaps you need to look outside of your neighbourhood? I have done a few searches on rakuten in english for you. :

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?p=6&k=suit+34R+mens&l-id=search_regular

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/lecaprice/item/etc60720/
34R?? and at a good price? you can't fail with Takeo Kikuchi. Think "Uniqlo meets Paul smith"
bigstar[1].gif
A good core maker for smaller guys to work with, adding other stuff as time goes on.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?p=1&k=takeo+kikuchi+34R&l-id=search_regular
And "Beams" can be had too! which is great stuff that can be found in smaller sizes. even "Ring Jacket"...
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?k=Beams+suit+men&l-id=search_regular

Browse a few pages. you can find all you need, including shoes with softer soles for when you need to be on your feet.
The Japanese have hard wearing, corporate fashions locked down. With 34R being a common size. - start cheap, and buy better when you're ready to.
lastly, get a bunch of quality ties. Raid your local thrift and grab all the ones that look nice with a good texture. when dealing face to face, your tie (and pocket square?) should pop more than the suit. you can go a polyester blend suit for work, but never go the polyester tie. keep at it! Remember to enjoy what you wear.

-Vader

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads