• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about chalk stripe suits?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I dont think you should; theres no problem wearing that suit. But try and wear a better shirt. Where are your cohones?
I mainly wear it with a white/silver Canali spread these days. Any other suggestions?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Thank you!

--Andre

Other ones to consider:

I own trousers made from the H&S Flannel book (Viceroy IIRC) but I only wear these very occasionally. This I consider to be a luxury flannel.

There are a few very nice flannels made by Scabal but they tend to be scattered around in different books. Two that come to mind are the Kent book and the Lifestyle book. Scabal produce some very nice and unusual plaids in flannel in colours not seen from the more conservative merchants. So, if you're game for something a little left of centre then have a look at the Scabal offerings.

Harrisons flannels: I have seen Harrisons flannels but not had any made up. My view is that they are conservative but have a more contempry look to them. Flannel for the 21st century but still classically English in their pattern and colour execution. A good modern option.

Minnis flannel: This is the best IMO as it has an old world look to it which works perfectly with flannel. This isn't a soft, smooth flannel though, as it has a slight "˜wirey' feel to it. Besides the two chalkstripes I mentioned there is a solid blue which has a beautiful finish to it, reminiscent of doeskin. This would make a stunning blazer style jacket, cut a bit loose, soft construction, maybe patch pockets. Very nice.

I have no experience with Lessers flannel, but the Lessers golden bale that Voxsartoria is having made up into a DB looked very nice.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to Vox , I have ordered some Golden Bale 12/13 oz before the stock is completemy gone forever .

It is a fantastic worsted flannel.

Fox flannel are also great. A bit more luxurious and softer than the Minnis .

I'm thinking of getting some VICEROY the next time...Are you happy with it?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I mainly wear it with a white/silver Canali spread these days. Any other suggestions?
It can be worn with many shirts. There's this falsehood going around that you separate a strong pattern with a solid or a very weak one. The problem here is that the strong pattern isnt really underlined by a weak one, the weaker one simply collapses completely. I've seen some of the books for people who dont know what theyre doing written by people who want to be ansolutely "safe" themselves, where "safe" means not one person will ever comment negatively about the advice dispensed. To me, and for someone who wants to dress stylishly, that sort of dual processor, anal retentive overdrive is comic. Whenever I see someone with the busy pattern separated by a solid, I know they've wrote memorized a clothing book from the seventies or eighties.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It can be worn with many shirts. There's this falsehood going around that you separate a strong pattern with a solid or a very weak one. The problem here is that the strong pattern isnt really underlined by a weak one, the weaker one simply collapses completely. I've seen some of the books for people who dont know what theyre doing written by people who want to be ansolutely "safe" themselves, where "safe" means not one person will ever comment negatively about the advice dispensed.

To me, and for someone who wants to dress stylishly, that sort of dual processor, anal retentive overdrive is comic. Whenever I see someone with the busy pattern separated by a solid, I know they've wrote memorized a clothing book from the seventies or eighties.

You can't blame anyone for trying to be safe...Patterns are difficult to match and you can look like a jester if you do not have the right skills to make them work together.

Take the example of a strong Huntsman check...I have seen too many Fashionistas overdoing it and they look ridiculous...

That was most likely the effect they were looking for but they still look interestingly awful at best.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Thanks to Vox , I have ordered some Golden Bale 12/13 oz before the stock is completemy gone forever .

It is a fantastic worsted flannel.

Fox flannel are also great. A bit more luxurious and softer than the Minnis .

I'm thinking of getting some VICEROY the next time...Are you happy with it?

Well, strangely I had trousers made from it, as I wanted something luxurious for occasional wear, I had my tailor cut them a little fuller than my normal. I only wear them occasionally if I'm dining out or going to the theatre or just want to soften my image a little.

The Viceroy, which I think is a mix of wool and cashmere would make a beautiful suit but only for occasional wear. Why not indulge yourself for those special occasions.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't blame anyone for trying to be safe...Patterns are difficult to match and you can look like a jester if you do not have the right skills to make them work together.

Take the example of a strong Huntsman check...I have seen too many Fashionistas overdoing it and they look ridiculous...

That was most likely the effect they were looking for but they still look interestingly awful at best.

The problem with matching patterns is trying to match them too perfectly because it then looks too contrived. You need to inject a little bit of controlled disarray into the mix.

Women match colours and patterns perfectly. Men do not.
teacha.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
The problem with matching patterns is trying to match them too perfectly because it then looks too contrived. You need to inject a little bit of controlled disarray into the mix.

Women match colours and patterns perfectly. Men do not.
teacha.gif

I tend to stay away from patterns except stripes.

I have been taught not to mix patterns but like everything in life , conformity can be a soul destroying exercise.

I do admire people doing it well.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't blame anyone for trying to be safe...
I don't believe in this maximum. But, I don't know that this even applies here. It looks like many men are victims of some style books which give simple, starter formulas for the clueless. That's fine, but the formulas then grow to become the entire world of options when they were only ever meant as the easiest first steps. At this point these basics become not only a security blanket but an actual style cudgel with which to bully more knowledgeable people. You can actually get some lame-o telling you that two patterns shouldn't go together! I understand that men like to pretend they always knew and that they're right all the time but this is just obvious.
Patterns are difficult to match and you can look like a jester if you do not have the right skills to make them work together.
Who said you were supposed to match them? Some of the books people cite were written by men who don't work in the professions they're "dressing" or are too feminine, or are trying to be safe so no one can ever say they're wrong, or just don't have enough space in the book to go in-depth. Men don't usually dress for a picture, they don't dress to be gazed at artistically or lovingly and yet these books on pattern scales and color coordination have bred a nation of men anxious over separating a pattern with a solid. Which you wouldn't think we would be inundated with on a clothing forum, but here we are.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
What do you think about chalk stripe suits? Do you think that one should at least own one? Which color combinations should be prefered?

I have one in dark brown (DB 3 piece), one in postman blue (SB 3 piece), and a pseudo chalk in medium gray (it's a fresco, SB 2 piece). I also have a length of dark gray (which will some day be SB 3 piece) and am itching for a navy (DB 2 piece).

I often wear them all with solid shirts and/or solid ties, and find incredible any notion that this is somehow in bad taste, or that bold patterns require other bold patterns.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Will posted a rockin' combo today that's anchored by a solid shirt.

I go back and forth...sometimes, I like everything patterned, sometimes not. It tends to run in seasonal phases.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
^^That's definitely a bad ass suit. Love the vest.

It is.

Manton, do you see how Will's DB vest has that seam down the front? His, though, is off center from the buttons compared to mine, presumably because of the pattern.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It is.

Manton, do you see how Will's DB vest has that seam down the front? His, though, is off center from the buttons compared to mine, presumably because of the pattern.

- B

I was at an iGent dinner a couple of weeks a go, and a friend of mine wore a Poole suit with a DB vest. It also had the center front seam, with a fob hole in the middle.

I feel I started the whole trend of iGents getting DB vests, and I never got one with that seam. Somebody ripped me off.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I feel I started the whole trend of iGents getting DB vests, and I never got one with that seam. Somebody ripped me off.

You got your fob hole, though, right?

That's what counts.

I still await a photograph of someone putting a cornflower in that hole. If you wish, you could be the first.

I don't see a fob hole in Will's vest...looks like he's been snookered again.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics