• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should I leave the chicken on the counter the morning of roasting to warm to room temperature or should I leave it uncovered in the fridge to dry out the skin?
Or perhaps have it uncovered the night before and take it out the morning of roasting?

fridge the morning, take it out to the counter for an hour or so right before roasting.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF? I can't remember ever smoking up my oven. Must be some dirty ass ovens you guys have.

matt, let's face it: you live in a more beautiful world than the rest of us. that's one of the things we love about you.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, i'll go first. this was in a cast-iron pan at 400 degrees. and yes, manton, i realize my trussing was sloppy. honestly, it was a lot tighter when i did it, but i should have bound the legs together better.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's mine. I'm a convert to the technique. Super juicy and flavorful. I used a Trader Joe's "organic" chicken - it was way too *****. Still, came out great. I look forward to trying again with one of the fresh birds from the Sunday market, or a pastured bird.

Also, I notice this looks as light as Mordecai's bird from the other day. Bad iphone picture - in reality it was quite dark, darker than foodguy's bird above.

IMG_0263.jpg

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And you buy a ******* trussing needle goddamnit! You guys should do an SF group buy.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
or google Judy Bird and the first things to appear are foodguy's print stories about the brining method.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That is better. The legs are too far forward, though.

Here is how a chicken should be trussed. If manton doesn't get to it tomorrow, I will take pics as I truss my Russ-Bird. It takes all of 30 seconds to do with a needle. A little more without.

As a preview, you thread the needle, you go into that hole below the leg that you see. Then you pust through to the other side coming out at the joint between drumstick and thigh. Then you go into the wing, under the bird, through the skin, sewing the neck skin down on to the back, through the other wing, then through the other drumstick/thigh joint. Then you go through the same place under the leg on the opposite side of the bird, over the leg, through the skin below the breast, over the leg and tie it off at the original spot. You can also truss with two needles, but that is more for turkeys.

Before cooking:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members