1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Love the plating on the foie. And what a great and whimsical idea to put beef tongue with sweetbreads.

What did you think of Family meal collective? Food looks pretty solid.

You should try Luce since they have that 1 star that puts them on par with Mina... cheap tasting menu too. [​IMG]

The Family Meal was pretty damn good, especially since it was their first real dinner; the one before was the friends/family one. There were some bumps, in terms of timing/pacing since there's only one chef doing all the prep and cooking, so the "sides" came out before the lamb, but in terms of food quality, which I think is the main point of their supper club, it was definitely solid to the point I definitely need to go to another one. And that ice cream from Slocombe is AWESOME; the chef told me after that they also sell foie gras ice cream there. [​IMG]

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

My sole one Michelin star restaurant was dinner at Masa my first weekend in town. The meal was incredible, really good. There were no sour notes, and no bumps. If you haven't been, go now.

K just checked the menu, and wow, $60 for that meal plus a glass of sparkling is pretty great. How much was the shaved truffle?

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the Family Meal Collective dinner set you back?

BTW2, better grab some of that foie ice cream while you can, it might be the only way we can eat it in a few years.

3. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

My sole one Michelin star restaurant was dinner at Masa my first weekend in town. The meal was incredible, really good. There were no sour notes, and no bumps. If you haven't been, go now.

K just checked the menu, and wow, $60 for that meal plus a glass of sparkling is pretty great. How much was the shaved truffle?

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the Family Meal Collective dinner set you back?

BTW2, better grab some of that foie ice cream while you can, it might be the only way we can eat it in a few years.

Indeed it is excellent, although I haven't been since I went to DC.

Yeah, personally, I think Luce has one of the better bang for the buck tasting menus in SF. The truffles were... compliments of Chef Crenn. [​IMG] We seem to always end up having conversations about food and chefs when I get around there, so she mentioned "taking care of my menu" when I told her I wanted the tasting.

The FMC partnered with a non-profit, so there is a $52 "donation," which is how they're trying to keep it legal without permits and stuff. It's $39 for just the food and $13 for the cocktails, and they do a BYOB cocktail hour, so I brought Creme de Violette, Hendricks, and Maraschino Liquor. The person in charge of the cocktails saw it, looked at me, and goes, "You want an Aviation." [​IMG] Right now, they're trying to do a dinner every other Sunday, but it's based on the chef's work schedule.

Yeah, I have to call them to see when they're selling the foie ice cream so I can head up there and buy a few gallons.

4. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I went to Kroger last night and found the best steak I could. It was very well marbled and I was pretty impressed with it. I seared it first with salt and pepper, then put it in the oven. Then I carmelized a red onion, and put some fresh parsley in it. I also made up some green beans with chive. When everything was done, I cut the steak and stacked it, put some onion on top and sprinkled some soft goat cheese on top of that. I topped it all off with a little bit more parsley and voila! The best meal I have had in a long while[​IMG] Oh yeah, the meat was actually really really good. It was $5.99 a pound but tasted great. All in all, the meal cost around $13 for two, and was a lot of fun to make. We were going to make dessert by putting pineapple in a pan with butter and honey and cooking until they were slightly crisp on the outside, then topping with cream cheese and rum.

5. spudnik99

spudnik99 Senior member

Yucatan-style stuffed cheese.

6. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Enjoyed some great Island Creek oysters last night at a restaurant here in the South End of Boston where I live. I am totally spoiled as these are from Duxbury MA and are available at most of the restaurants in Boston.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Made some broiled potato parmesan crisps in the oven + some roasted garlic.. Simplicity rules sometimes.

8. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

after a big lunch, since the wife wasn't feeling like eating dinner and the DVD player was already fired up, I was incredibly lazy and called McDonalds delivery...Hell, once in awhile, it tastes pretty good...

9. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

after a big lunch, since the wife wasn't feeling like eating dinner and the DVD player was already fired up, I was incredibly lazy and called McDonalds delivery...Hell, once in awhile, it tastes pretty good...

I crave Mcdonalds every once in a while, then once I have it, I feel bad and wish I didn't[​IMG]

10. why18

why18 Senior member

These are some of the memorable food I ate on my recent trip to Tokyo. Wish I am eating them again right now.

Pictures intensive and some may cause discomfort.

[​IMG]
    Beef Sashimi

[​IMG]
    Ox Liver Sashimi

[​IMG]
    Wakyu Beef Yakiniku

[​IMG]
    Beef Flank

[​IMG]
    Ox Tongue

[​IMG]
    Vegetarian Kaiseki

[​IMG]
    Mashed potato never tasted so good.

[​IMG]
    Egg Plant

[​IMG]
    Yakitori

[​IMG]
    Minced Chicken

[​IMG]
    Prawn Dumplings

[​IMG]
    Torch seared Chutoro Aburi Sushi (2nd grade Tuna belly)

[​IMG]
    Extra fat Otoro sushi (1st grade Tuna belly)

[​IMG]
    Check out the size of the unagi (eel)
    In the spirit of SF. Mock turtle neck sweater- Christian Dior, Jacket - Hunting World

[​IMG]
    Assorted Tonkatsu (deep fried pork cutlet) lean, juicy and extra juicy

[​IMG]
    Extra Juicy Kurobuta Pork

[​IMG]
    Lean

[​IMG]
    Pig soft cartilage

[​IMG]
    Pig Intestine

[​IMG]
    Pig Liver. No part of the pig is spared in this place.....

[​IMG]
    Very comforting Miso Ramen.

[​IMG]
    Rice with Mentaiko (roe of pollock)

11. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

This whole thread should be locked between 9-11.30am EST. Now I am starving. Thanks!

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

These are some of the memorable food I ate on my recent trip to Tokyo. Wish I am eating them again right now.

Pictures intensive and some may cause discomfort.

Geebus...did you eat all that in one sitting?

P.S. I had to wipe my drool a little.

13. why18

why18 Senior member

Haha no....over a few days.

14. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Weekend trip to LA. Had another great dinner at Church & State; the chef there was one of my faves when he was at L'Auberge Carmel and then when he briefly moved to Bastide, so it's good to see he's doing an astounding job in the more casual bistro setting, and it was really cool to talk to him about the LA food scene.

EchirÃ[​IMG] A.O.C. butter and Walter's special bacon butter. He told us he wanted to do something with all the pork trimmings he had leftover and just made some experimental bacon butter that day that he wanted us to try... so awesome. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started with some hamachi sashimi:
    [​IMG]

After hearing how much I loved the bacon butter, he sent out some Oreilles de Cochon with bearnaise:
    [​IMG]

A pumpkin pot with pomegranate:
    [​IMG]

An amazing Cassoulet Toulouse: duck confit, housemade pork shoulder sausage, pork belly, and white beans.
    [​IMG]

And the dessert tasting of creme brulee, apple cobbler, chocolate, apple and cherry tartes:
    [​IMG]

Chef decided to share half his creation and gave me some bacon butter to take home: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I stopped off at my usual cheese shop in Santa Monica to grab some cheese for the road:
    [​IMG]

Cazelle de St. Affrique, Couserans, Sally Jackson's Renata, and Boschetto al Tartufo

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Roikins- I was just in LA recently with my roommate seeing some of his friends. Met two guys who work at Church and State. I wish we'd been able to go there, it seemed pretty legit.

BTW- haven't been online for the last week or so, so haven't gotten any pm's. I'm not just being an asshole [​IMG]

16. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Roikins- I was just in LA recently with my roommate seeing some of his friends. Met two guys who work at Church and State. I wish we'd been able to go there, it seemed pretty legit.

BTW- haven't been online for the last week or so, so haven't gotten any pm's. I'm not just being an asshole [​IMG]

Nice, you should definitely get to C&S if you're back down in LA. The neighborhood is sketch, but the food is simply awesome. I just got back from LA at 3am; I had to shoot back down there for a few days to do photos of the LA Auto Show, and I caught the first public night of LudoBites, although, I wish I had stayed another day to get back to C&S or try the new Umami Burger outpost or second Fraiche location in Santa Monica.

[​IMG] Asshole.

17. romafan

romafan Senior member

some of you may have seen this on wednesday: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/di...r=1&ref=dining

it's basically cooking pasta like risotto - instead dumping in boiling water you ladle on stock. [​IMG]

tried it last night as per recipe (w/ crimini/shiitake & chicken) - took a little longer, but was was quite good and very tasty! [​IMG]

18. Alter

Alter Senior member

My god, that bacon butter sounds heavenly.

19. why18

why18 Senior member

[​IMG]

Yum!

Sup Tulang.

You eat this for the bone marrow.....

20. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

My god, that bacon butter sounds heavenly.

Just had some today on an English muffin... so amazing. It has a strong smokey taste which turns into a great, salty bacon taste. Manzke needs to actually make this stuff and serve it every night, or at least sell it to me. [​IMG]