• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What designers are like John Varvatos?

georgeyporgey

Reaction score
Hey.

I really don't know much about the different designers out there, but what I do know is that I really love the stuff that John Varvatos puts out.

The problem is that it is often extremely expensive.

What are some designers/brands that are similar in taste (edgy, rock'n'roll, but not at all trashy), but at a lower price point?

Thanks.

jyook

Reaction score
I'll be the first to say it since I ran into the same problem when I first came here years ago...

None of the people on this board care about designers... They care about quality and style... Generally speaking, the quality of most designer garments are garbage... Rather than using full canvass construction, the chest pieces are glued together...

Style, by the people who post here, is about how you wear your garments... If the fit is right... If it looks classy... Generally speaking, the members of Styleforum look up to the styles of Cary Grant...

Designers don't matter here... If it looks good, the fit is right, it's age appropriate, and you don't look like a jack ass like some guy from Jersey Shore getting dressed in what he would think looks good for a weddding, then you're good...

As advised when I first started posting, check out the What Are You Wearing Today threads and you'll see what I'm talking about...

Having said that, the labels that get thrown around a lot here are Zegna, Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, and some Ralph Lauren... I've seen Armani a few times because one guy looked really good in it... The other labels get mentioned because of its quality construction... Lots of posters here prefer to have their garments made bespoke by a tailor...

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I still read occasionally...

Welcome...

jhva3

Reaction score
John Varvatos Star is similar and cheaper. Try the outlet. They mark everything down a ton.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wrong forum. In SW&D people can give you advice on trendy designers.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
I saw their shoes and what they were asking for them and I couldn't stop laughing

If you want to look like a "rockstar" go to a thrift store, buy yourself some radegy jeans, a shirt, and dirty used work boots, and then sleep in them for 3 days straight after doing coke and not sleeping for 4.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that certain labels aren't worshipped on here. Aldens, Lobbs, Greens, RLBL, Kiton, etc are all worshipped, not just because they're well constructed, but also because of style.

To the OP, the only reason why you're getting a negative response here is because Varvatos' stuff is much better suited to the Streetwear and Denim subforum. Post there, they may know. The stuff appreciated in this subforum tends to be for a more conservative and older crowd.

Good luck.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by georgeyporgey
Hey.

I really don't know much about the different designers out there, but what I do know is that I really love the stuff that John Varvatos puts out.

The problem is that it is often extremely expensive.

What are some designers/brands that are similar in taste (edgy, rock'n'roll, but not at all trashy), but at a lower price point?

Thanks.

honestly, i'm not sure there are any. varvatos seems to have a monopoly on the Monarchy-on-sedatives low-key rocker style. not a perfect match, but try william rast maybe.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually no one likes Varvatos on SW&D either. His stuff tends to be unimaginative and poorly made, the whole "rock and roll" look that he's going for hasn't been interesting or relevant in years, and all the runway shows are pretty much interchangeable.

Kind of disingenuous for him to call his stuff "rock and roll" oriented at all really. Subcultural or punk fashion had so many different interesting moments, it's not just a matter of throwing on a black leather jacket and a plaid fedora or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads