• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color shirt should I wear white my cream-colored tie?

Nauttos

Reaction score
I will be attending a wedding event in weeks to come. I am close to the groom and he does not want me to wear the same color shirt as him which is white. So, I have opted to buy a cream-colored tie and am planning to pair it with a purple shirt as I have a purple-patterned handkerchief but am not sure what shade of purple to get or can I simply just wear a different color with the cream-colored tie?

If all this is too much, I do however have a black tie but a red, black or blue shirt are off-limits as they are taken up by my other friends. So, help me out here... Thanks!!!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would seek the bride's opinion on this. She really has the last say in these matters anyway.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would seek the bride's opinion on this. She really has the last say in these matters anyway.
The bride gets to tell the guests what to wear too?

OP, are you actually in the wedding party, or are you just a guest? As for not wearing a white shirt because the groom is wearing one, I find this request ridiculous. I suppose you should follow it though, as you don't want to piss off the couple.

Also, I am not clear by what you mean that a blue shirt is "taken up" by your friends? Were you instructed that you must all wear different colored shirts?

Nauttos

Reaction score

True enough. She told me to wear a purple but the shade of purple is what I'm looking for here. Don't wanna look like a pimp or too flashy for the occasion.

Nauttos

Reaction score

The bride gets to tell the guests what to wear too?

OP, are you actually in the wedding party, or are you just a guest? As for not wearing a white shirt because the groom is wearing one, I find this request ridiculous. I suppose you should follow it though, as you don't want to piss off the couple.

Also, I am not clear by what you mean that a blue shirt is "taken up" by your friends? Were you instructed that you must all wear different colored shirts?
I'm in the wedding party so as to say... Yeah, they decided that we needed to wear different color. I just wanted to wear the classic black suit , white shirt and black tie. But since its his day, might as well give in.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a great wedding.....:eh:

Nauttos

Reaction score
Haha! Yeah... Tell me about it... Love the sarcasm though! Help me out here? What shade of purple would then go well with a cream tie?

Grenadier

Reaction score
White is really the only shirt color I've found that works with a cream tie, which is a color that usually doesn't look good. Maybe a very pale lavender, but it would have to be very pale.

And don't wear a black suit

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the wedding party so as to say... Yeah, they decided that we needed to wear different color. I just wanted to wear the classic black suit , white shirt and black tie. But since its his day, might as well give in.
Well, being in the wedding party pretty much means you have to do what they say. I would try lavender or maybe slightly darker.

BTW, the black suit is not really "classic" and would not be recommended even if you could wear one.

Nauttos

Reaction score
I would wear a grey suit but unfortunately I don't have the time to go n buy it. Thanks for the help!

Nauttos

Reaction score
Okay... Pale lavender. Got it. I would wear a grey suit but guess what?! Only black suit allowed. I know.... I know.....
smile.gif

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
do you have to wear a cream tie?

Nauttos

Reaction score
No. I do have a black tie though. Just thought wearing a different tie would be nicer and would open up more combinations which I am finding out is wrong...

sborg

Reaction score
A pale lavender shirt with a cream tie would be a nice combination I have to agree. But I've seen one guest at a wedding I attended to wear a light pink shirt with the cream tie. So it'll be up to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads