• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans?

crevin

Reaction score
Hi, what kind of dress shirt should I wear with my dark blue jeans (7s for mankind)? They are really dark navy blue and a little faded in the front.

If it means anything, my skin and hair color are like Brad Pit (musty blond).

And it is for going out to clubs and bars and stuff, so kind of casual but looking nice (for some reason I am not a big fan of white shirts). Would a dark green dress shirt look bad? Thanks for any advice!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may sound pretty boring to some, but I'm a fan of a clean/crisp simple white fitted dress shirt with dark jeans and dark brown shoes.

crevin

Reaction score
Or what about a polo? What kinds of polos go good with dark blue jeans? Would brown work?

mickeymickey

Reaction score
This isn't that complicated. Almost anything goes with dark blue jeans. I agree with embowafa, a simple white shirt does look good with dark blue jeans. But seriously, there are really dozens of color choices you can make here with either dress shirts or polos.

benjaminarnold

Reaction score
do not go with the dark green or the grayish silver. you will look like a tool

a nice white shirt, non-oxford
a lighter blue shirt with a SIMPLE pattern (again, SIMPLE, there are so many ways to **** that up.)
i don't know what your style is but plaids can look cool if the colors are not too absurd, but that's more of a hipster thing to do
pink shirt, but be careful here because if the pink is too pink you will again look like a tool
a black shirt works in a pinch but skip the hair gel or you will look like a guido
lavender or another non-neon purple shade can do well

anything will work, just skip the shirts with vertical stripes and don't do anything too loud. so many guys at clubs wear stupid "HEY THIS IS MY PARTY SHIRT" shirts and look like tools. dress a tiny bit more conservatively than that and you will be fine.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gray could look okay. So could cream or pink, but maybe not on the complexion described. (Before anyone objects, Brat Pitt's features are masculine enough that no color is going to make him look weak.) Light blue is very safe. Dark green in a club or bar with low lighting might look too similar to the jeans. Some red or purple, but not so much as to look dark, probably would work best. A polo is not recommended.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
This may sound pretty boring to some, but I'm a fan of a clean/crisp simple white fitted dress shirt with dark jeans and dark brown shoes.

Me too, but I'd go for tan shoes instead.

But since the original poster isn't much into white shirts I'd say try lavender.

Meursault

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjaminarnold
anything will work, just skip the shirts with vertical stripes and don't do anything too loud.

What's wrong with stripes? I was just about to suggest them. While I'd agree on avoiding the loud multi-colour stripes, I think thinnish blue-white or pink-white stripes would be perfect.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meursault
What's wrong with stripes? I was just about to suggest them. While I'd agree on avoiding the loud multi-colour stripes, I think thinnish blue-white or pink-white stripes would be perfect.

There isn't anything wrong with them generally. This is just one guy's opinion, but a good one when addressing anything that might be too loud or pervasive among AmJacks. I have a number of dress shirts with bold stripes which I wouldn't hesitate to wear with jeans because (1) I feel perfectly comfortable doing so, and (2) I'm positive no one else will be wearing a similar shirt since I got it bespoke and it actually fits properly.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plain white, light pink shirts work great with dark jeans with white being the best/most versatile.

Light blue/yellow/red muted stripes shirt works too.

But the choice of color other than white and light pink would really depend on your skin tone.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blackfishnetshirt.jpg

This

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads