• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are You Wearing Now Contest, another round!

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with chris aswell. The best put together outfit, and the best silhouette.

lowrey

Reaction score
thanks for the honors and all the nice comments, its much apreciated. I really like that outfit from chris, I always like his style but thats one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by robbie
lowrey you had my vote until i saw your shoes, there is no substitute for chuck taylors... especially those nike+hurley models you're sporting.

feel free to rock what you want, but I'd like to point out that the Kiefers are superior to chucks in every imagineable way. the elk leather feels great compared to canvas, its very thin as well but still seems a bit more sturdy. the construction is excellent and the shoes fit perfectly to your feet, making these one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned
smile.gif

pinoy

Reaction score
I don't want to come off as sounding rude or offensive, but what is it about Baron's outfit that is so special that it made it to the contest round? Sure, the shirt fits great, and the jeans as well, but isn't there some lack of "personal touch"? I regularly wear pretty much what Baron has on– dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, jeans, leather shoes. Somehow it feels too boring for me. I remember posting a similar outfit on WAYWT except with Chucks instead of leather shoes, and not a single person commented. Again, I don't want to come off as sounding insolent or obnoxious, I'm just curious to see exactly what is it about Baron's outfit that lifts it from merely being good (which it is) to great (since it made it to the contest finals).

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Baron secretly Paypal'd $5 to all the regulars so that we'd agree his fit is cool. Cat's out of the bag, B. This may or may not make sense, but when I see Baron dressed like that it's how I envision a person like him dressing. He's well within his boundaries which makes him look comfortable and confident, the same way Chris and lowrey do. "The clothes do not make the man, rather the man makes the clothes."

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
I'm just curious to see exactly what is it about Baron's outfit that lifts it from merely being good (which it is) to great (since it made it to the contest finals).
Its Baron. Its not always what's worn that matters, its who and how that really makes or breaks it for me. I'm talking about personalities rather than celebrities. Well, not that I know Baron personally but you already get a sense of how a person is when you look at a photograph. Its about being comfortable and making something so basic look so fresh. Baron, I'll pm you my paypal details. Cheers!

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the Baron's white shirt is kind of boring, this is the way I dress when I go casual but with a more colorful shirt...

It is kind of surprising that in SF a guy in highwater pants, dirty chucks and too-long sleeves would win this contest...

Go Baron, Go !

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lowrey
thanks for the honors and all the nice comments, its much apreciated. I really like that outfit from chris, I always like his style but thats one of my favorites.

feel free to rock what you want, but I'd like to point out that the Kiefers are superior to chucks in every imagineable way. the elk leather feels great compared to canvas, its very thin as well but still seems a bit more sturdy. the construction is excellent and the shoes fit perfectly to your feet, making these one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned
smile.gif

I had just assumed that your not crappy shoes were the really crappy hurley converse imitations I saw on about 10,ooo people a year or two ago.

sorry to have made that assumption

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't want to come off as sounding rude or offensive, but what is it about Baron's outfit that is so special that it made it to the contest round? Sure, the shirt fits great, and the jeans as well, but isn't there some lack of "personal touch"?

I regularly wear pretty much what Baron has on- dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, jeans, leather shoes. Somehow it feels too boring for me. I remember posting a similar outfit on WAYWT except with Chucks instead of leather shoes, and not a single person commented.

Again, I don't want to come off as sounding insolent or obnoxious, I'm just curious to see exactly what is it about Baron's outfit that lifts it from merely being good (which it is) to great (since it made it to the contest finals).

Honestly, I kinda agree with you. I was surprised to get picked for the contest, and I agree my look is extremely basic, especially compared to other people who post pictures. I try to find nice pieces that fit well and try to wear them in a coherent look. In my defense, a lot of people (out in the world, not so much here) have a hard time just achieving that. But, yeah, I do think that my look is a dumbed-down version of the look Get Smart wears most days, but I don't think the mods want to pick the same three guys for every contest round so I squeaked in this time by attrition.

By the way, the picture is kinda blown out, but that shirt is a pale blue gingham check, not white. I don't ever wear plain white dress shirts with jeans.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Baron just wasn't doing it for me. I mean, i like it and all and the stuff fits and looks good, but it's far from great. I really love chris's getup and the way he actually makes those pieces look better than they already are. The stuff fits him perfectly and it seems to be an extension of him as well. Lowerey's fit is also just badass. I would've never thought of those pants and the kiefers do look really nice with the outfit. The top block is nice and fits great. Regardless of the fact that he doesn't take risk with color as much (which has been discussed), Lowrey consistantly has some of the best fitting and sharpest outfits of anyone on here or sufu.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I don't want to come off as sounding rude or offensive, but what is it about Baron's outfit that is so special that it made it to the contest round?

He makes old people cool.
smile.gif

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Baron secretly Paypal'd $5 to all the regulars so that we'd agree his fit is cool. Cat's out of the bag, B.

This may or may not make sense, but when I see Baron dressed like that it's how I envision a person like him dressing. He's well within his boundaries which makes him look comfortable and confident, the same way Chris and lowrey do.

"The clothes do not make the man, rather the man makes the clothes."

Originally Posted by berlin report
Its Baron. Its not always what's worn that matters, its who and how that really makes or breaks it for me. I'm talking about personalities rather than celebrities. Well, not that I know Baron personally but you already get a sense of how a person is when you look at a photograph. Its about being comfortable and making something so basic look so fresh. Baron, I'll pm you my paypal details. Cheers!

Thanks for the posts, guys. Whodini, the quote does an excellent job of summarizing everything. The man really does make the clothes, and I tend to get technical when looking at outfits posted because its hard (at least for me) to get, as Berlin Report says, "a sense of how a person is" simply from a picture alone.

I hope that last sentence wasn't confusing. Oh, and Baron, you know that if you had just paypalled me $5 as agreed, I wouldn't have started this whole deal about your outfit.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads