• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
so i know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I keep seeing the albert camus novels and want to read them solely because of the well designed covers... the same goes for 90% of the penguin classics I see at old bookstores when I am scrounging around for LIFE and The National Geographic. are 'the stranger' or 'the plague' worth my time. I know he won the nobel prize, but will I enjoy the books... or are they one of those books people are given so they read, or everyone reads just because everyone reads them ???
Originally Posted by Teger
yes camus is very good. i'd start with the stranger. if you don't have a strong background in philosophy/exestentialism you might not enjoy them as much as someone who does, but i think they're some of the best works of the past 100 years
i'm with Teger here. The Stranger is a good start; the Plague is amazing, Camus makes a brief mention of the events in The Stranger (as a clipped out news item)----one can get the sense of an interconnected Camus-niverse. Also, I recommend The Fall; his notion of the Judge-Penitent is one of his more interesting ideas that will reverberate in the reader's mind for years. There is a collection of short stories that may also serve as a good intro to Camus; The Guest may be one of my favorite short stories, ever-----it could be on account of the Merel song of the same name in which the story is read.
Originally Posted by tagutcow
What's that old saying, "Bad philosophy makes for good art."
not sure what you mean here. camus' philosophy may be the most important and relevant philosophy that there is. The Myth of Sisyphus, more than any other written work, has impacted my life in the most crucial way. also, The Rebel, wrestles with another very important subject matter; what other philosopher this side of Nietszche even broaches these subjects? this isn't philosophy for the lecture hall, or armchair, but a socially engaged, and relevant investigation of the most important subject in a humans life: the value of life.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My very enjoyable read of the Yiddish Policemen Union was interrupted by my wife strongly suggesting that I don't spend another day without reading this

raising_cain_paperback.jpg

It's actually pretty interesting

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Jack Kerouac - "On the Road"

Originally Posted by xchen
I need to read this still.

personally I never saw what all the fuss was about with this one

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
personally I never saw what all the fuss was about with this one
really? i mean, think of the incredible focus (or zen-like no-focus) to write a cohesive work on one continuous roll of paper. composition in which author is played like an aeolian harp: reliant on length of breath; unmediated by critical faculty. for your consideration: \t \t\t\t\t\t\t\tJack Keroauc Essentials for Spontaneous Prose \t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t BELIEF & TECHNIQUE FOR MODERN PROSE 1 .Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages,for yr own joy 2. Submissive to everything, open, listening 3. Try to never get drunk outside yr own house 4. Be in love with yr life 5. Something that you feel will find it's own form 6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind 7. Blow as deep as you want to blow 8. Write what you want bottomless from the bottom of the mind 9. The unspeakable visions of the individual 10. No time for poetry but but exactly what is 11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest 12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon the object before you 13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition 14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time 15. Telling the true story of the world in the interior monolog 16. The jewel of the center of interest is the eye within the eye 17. Write in recollection and amazement of yourself 18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea 19. Accept loss forever 20. Believe in the holy contour of life 21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact within the mind 22. Dont think of words when you stop but to see the picture better 23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning 24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language and knowledge 25. Write for the world to read and see your exact pictures of it 26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form 27. In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness 28, Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better 29. You're a Genius all the time 30. Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven

iridium7777

Reaction score
bought it recently, will read it after i'm done with "my word is my bond" by moore, which is pretty freaking terrible and i can't wait to be done with it. the man is a massive bore.
Originally Posted by Britalian
Gomorrah, by Saviano.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads