• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the best friends of your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,11:27)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 25 2005,09:19
Hmm, perhaps you should do an analysis of WWI w/o American intervention...? Â Considering that almost the entirety of the war was fought INSIDE FRENCH TERRITORY I hardly consider France a winning party, the only reason they were on the winning side was because of the Americans.
You should read better the history of the WW1... Being the winner depends on where the war took place? Ok, but in this case French are all the more the winner as they were loosing not only soldiers but civilians and buildings. It was a WORLD WAR. So not only in FRANCE... What means winning a war? So for you the winners are germans as the fights were not in their contry.? Without French, Germans and Europe, the wars in which US would have been involeved would sum up to cowboys against indians, CUBA and Vietnam... The US Â even dare not to start a war against Mexico or a south American country . Too spooky for them....Too close countries... They prefer bombing from boats 5000km away from their enemy like in Serbia.... Less spooky. Â Of course, a real war (face to face on the ground) would make more deads than 2 buildings crashed in NYC... And what to say about bombing Japan with a A bomb? Is it a fair way of making war?
ernest, you're being ridiculous.  If the US didn't intervene in the first and second world wars, France would be a German colony right now, and you'd be typing your messages on styleforum in German. err, sorry... Frankreich würde eine deutsche Kolonie im Augenblick sein, und Sie würden Ihre Anzeigen auf der StyleForum auf Deutsch schreiben.
d, now I am impressed, I could have said that, but I sure as hell couldn't have written it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Feb. 25 2005,15:12)
Originally Posted by Fabienne,Feb. 25 2005,11:38
Originally Posted by meaculpa,Feb. 24 2005,19:51
Well, I'm Canadian. I think everyone is our friend. Except the Quebeqois.
Hey, nobody touch the QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois. Â They invented the poutine, and I am in stitches whenever I hear them speak French. Â
tounge.gif
No, seriously, the QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois are probably among my favorite groups of nationals, if not my favorite. Â I understand the Canadian anglophones might have issues with them, but, darn it, give it to them: they survived deportation and persecution, kept their language and culture strong.

sure, but they aren't very nice
devil.gif

You really think so? Â The French-speaking ones? Â I find them extraordinarily pleasant, despite the awful weather conditions... Â They're even pleasant with me, and I'm French, for God's sake. Â (they still haven't forgiven us for "abandonning" them, I hear)
I don't think they liked me, either. I have never (and believe me, you don't want to know how many cities I have been in) been treated so rudely by so many people. great food, great jazz, beutifull city. mean, mean people.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, strange how people can have different experiences. I have been to Quebec over ten times, each time for at least a week at a time, more often longer than that, and I have always been treated nicely.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had pretty good experiences in Montreal personally, haven't been to Quebec city though.

globetrotter,

Mein Deutsch ist wirklich nicht gute, gerechte Nebenerscheinungen dessen einer vergeudeten Jugend und sechs Monate in Wien.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, strange how people can have different experiences.  I have been to Quebec over ten times, each time for at least a week at a time, more often longer than that, and I have always been treated nicely.
you speak real french. I found that service people in france were happy to have me mangle their language, as I was trying. people in Montreal seemed to hate my attempts to talk to them, either in french or in english. but, I have only been there 3-4 times, on business, and usually for no more than 2 days. I want to go for a weekedn sometime soon, because I think my wife and son would like to.

but yes, funny how people have diffeent experiences.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankreich würde eine deutsche Kolonie im Augenblick sein, und Sie würden Ihre Anzeigen auf der StyleForum auf Deutsch schreiben.
d, now I am impressed, I could have said that, but I sure as hell couldn't have written it.[/quote] Yes, he was brave. This would be more correct: (not that my German is perfect either) Frankreich würde heutzutage eine Kolonie sein und seine Anzeigen im StyleForum auf Deutsch schreiben. Drizzt, that will be $5. Paypal?
biggrin.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had pretty good experiences in Montreal personally, haven't been to Quebec city though. globetrotter, Mein Deutsch ist wirklich nicht gute, gerechte Nebenerscheinungen dessen einer vergeudeten Jugend und sechs Monate in Wien.
very good. I lived in Germany for almost a year, and I couldn't write that without going to a dictionary. my wife says that I have found the perfect way to deal with german verbs, I make complete sentances out of nouns
biggrin.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ernest,

you're being ridiculous.  If the US didn't intervene in the first and second world wars, France would be a German colony right now, and you'd be typing your messages on styleforum in German.

err, sorry...
And then? How do you know what would happen ? Did you also know that the first war would last 4 years? have you the power to see the future?

France has been existing 1200 years without the US...

Without the French, US wouldn't even exist. It would have been an UK colonie (or Mexican.).

And without English, US wouldn't exist neither. So is US just an English colonie for life?

And if US have had a border with Germany instead of Canada? What would be US ?

US arrived at the end of the war and didn't lost many soldiers in this war.

Russians have made the whole work. Without them, US would never dare to come in Europe.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ernest,

You need to make a more complete study of history. The US was well on the way to winning the revolutionary war before the French intervention. While it's likely Cornwallis would have been able to escape w/o the blockade and naval engagement, the war of attrition in the Carolinas, etc... was taking a severe toll on the British.

France was conquered by the Germans in WWII and likely would have been in WWI w/o American intervention. The Russians would have lost in the eastern front if it weren't for US resupply as well (Lend/Lease, etc) In retrospect, maybe that wouldn't have been so bad to have that campaign bog down, but hindsight is 20/20, eh?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Russians have made the whole work. Without them, US would never dare to come in Europe.
Ernest, you are an idiot, the first WWII began in 1939, the US arrived in late 41, and finished it for the world in August '45, how is that the end of the war?

And we lost many ives, have you heard of the Battle of the Bulge, Normandy, Iwo Jima, Saipan, and countless other battles?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 25 2005,21:00) ernest, you're being ridiculous. Â If the US didn't intervene in the first and second world wars, France would be a German colony right now, and you'd be typing your messages on styleforum in German. err, sorry...
And then? How do you know what would happen ? France have been existing 1200 years without the US... Without the French, US wouldn't even exist. It would still be an UK colonie (or Mexican.). And without English, US wouldn't exist neither. So? And if US have had a border with Germany instead of Canada? What would have happen to US? US arrived at the end of the war and didn't lost many soldiers in this war. Russians have made the whole work. Without them, US would never dare to come in Europe.
a while back, I saw some people refering to Ernest as annoying and didn't understand what they meant.....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ernest is correct, at least, about the sacrifices of the Russian people, and that the success of Russian arms was crucial to defeating Germany. One need not hold one iota of sympathy for Stalin to recognize that.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drizz

Well said

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The United States lost 496,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines in the war. How many did France lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics