• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight training: I don't feel the lasting "burn"

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modsquad
I cannot let this slide. You have no way of knowing if his training "sucks" or not. Genetics has an enormous influence on how a lifter responds to weight training. That is a scientific fact that no amount of bluster can change. Be constructive or be quiet.

I think why probably knows that genetics influence growth potential. I think his response would likely be that genetics are more likely to come into play in the higher end of things, and that when you hear hoofbeats, think horses rather than zebras.

Peppars

Reaction score
Try doing your reps a little slower, count to 2 down and then 2 back up. You may be doing your reps too quickly and even though your increasing your weights the fast weights are not giving you full range of motion and your not working the proper muscle group for that workout. If you are doing the wrong motion, your not really focusing on that muscle and you'll feel tired and maybe a little pumped but you won't have really gained.

union1411

Reaction score
Soreness/burn has no correlation to the quality of your workout. I seriously suggest you learn about strength training before continuing your workouts.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
I think why probably knows that genetics influence growth potential. I think his response would likely be that genetics are more likely to come into play in the higher end of things, and that when you hear hoofbeats, think horses rather than zebras.

smile.gif

aleeboy

Reaction score
Trick to making progress is to change it up often. Here are six things I mix up:

- The exercise
- The split
- Rest
- Tempo
- Reps
- Sets

Exercise is important because as mentioned, the body adapts. For example, the squat. You can vary your stance, do them single legged, back or front load.

Splits. You can mix up body parts trained and the days in which you train them. Your muscles will be shocked at the change in frequency / recovery.

Rest, if you keep them short, you push your body harder to respond quicker.

Tempo allows you to vary time under tension.

Reps variations allows you to lift heavier of lighter depending on your goals. I mix heavy with low reps and then high reps with lower weights for a different feeling.

Sets, liked to rest and tempo which will impact the weight you lift.

So many things to play with. Get creative with your exercises and vary the rest. If you want soreness, these will do it for you. I don't believe soreness means anything with regards to gains, however, it is a satisfying feeling.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peppars
Try doing your reps a little slower, count to 2 down and then 2 back up. You may be doing your reps too quickly and even though your increasing your weights the fast weights are not giving you full range of motion and your not working the proper muscle group for that workout. If you are doing the wrong motion, your not really focusing on that muscle and you'll feel tired and maybe a little pumped but you won't have really gained.

*does a 2 second slow power clean*

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I never said that I don't make progress, I only said that it's hard and takes me a longer time than other non-superman metabolism individuals. That being said, I have made progress over the least year, but at the same time it's hard for me to intake enough food to help speed up the process and overtake the speed of my metabolism.

eat more / take supplements

I hope you do stuff other than chest and bis

union1411

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Trick to making progress is to change it up often. Here are six things I mix up:

- The exercise
- The split
- Rest
- Tempo
- Reps
- Sets

Exercise is important because as mentioned, the body adapts. For example, the squat. You can vary your stance, do them single legged, back or front load.

Splits. You can mix up body parts trained and the days in which you train them. Your muscles will be shocked at the change in frequency / recovery.

Rest, if you keep them short, you push your body harder to respond quicker.

Tempo allows you to vary time under tension.

Reps variations allows you to lift heavier of lighter depending on your goals. I mix heavy with low reps and then high reps with lower weights for a different feeling.

Sets, liked to rest and tempo which will impact the weight you lift.

So many things to play with. Get creative with your exercises and vary the rest. If you want soreness, these will do it for you. I don't believe soreness means anything with regards to gains, however, it is a satisfying feeling.

stop posting

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickshift
Up the intensity. Give it 110% effort. Also use the strictest form possible and put your mind in the muscle.

I recommend letting your form suffer, but under no circumstances should you give anything less than 125% effort. Even if that means you have to put some effort on your credit cards.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found I break plateaus by increasing the weight alot, then backing down a bit.

tommygustavo

Reaction score
Prolong your release after curls or contractions to aid in stimulating the work out in your muscle. You'll definitely feel the burn in doing that. Perform more tension/body weight training to promote the burn. Breathe properly and drink 1 glass of water for every 20 lbs of your total body weight to keep your body hydrated all the time and good body circulation. Hope this helps!

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
But of course. I work out everything. Regarding eating, I'm a slow eater, which is one of my problems regarding caloric intake.

I am the complete opposite... inherited from my mother. My girlfriend tells me I eat like I am afraid someone is going to steal it.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads