• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend trip to NYC -- the good and the bad

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The missus and I went to NYC this weekend for a bit of fun--shopping and a show was the plan. Not all went all, I have to say. Here it was:

Arrive around 6ish Fri via the train. Subway to hotel.
#1 Bad thing--the subway system is currently f-ed up from Penn St up on the A, C, 1, and some other lines. Signs are confusing even when you can find them. There are seemingly few ways to get to some stops. My gf lived in NYC for years and even she was complaining about the difficulty of getting to the hotel (at Columbus Circle) and down to..around 20th the next day.

The hotel was the Hudson. It was nice if trendy and small. The room was tiny. I mean tiny. That's usually not a big deal except that the bathroom was also extra tiny. Too small. The shower was probably 3" too narrow and...well, the bathroom was too small. Other than that it was a nice little room.

We had planned to go downtown to see an open-mic night called Mostly Sondheim, but I was just too tired from getting up at my regular 5:45 for work (even if only for a half day). So we grabbed a slice of pizza at the corner shop after I went and bought a new blood glucose monitor because I left mine at home. Idiot.

Saturday.
#1 Good thing--got bagels and coffee for breakfast and sat in Central Park to eat. How nice. Weather was lovely, I took some nice photos, and it was just nice.

#2 Bad thing--see my other post about them having the Haspel seersucker for $119, quite a bit lower than the STP price, as good as it is.

#3 Bad thing--went to SYMS. Utter utter disappointment. My gf offered to buy me a new navy suit but, of course, they had little in my size (46S, did I shrink, it used to be a 48S). They did have a beautiful HF but even at SYMS we just couldn't justify it right now. Too low on funds. They had tons of $46R, but nothing, and I mean nothing, I liked except the HF. If I were in the market for black I would have been fine. Plenty of lovely HSM, but not in navy. I didn't even find a single shirt that I wanted, except a short-sleeve summer shirt. I literally did not even find socks I wanted. Not even socks. How sad.

Then we went back to the hotel room to drop off her bags (she did very well). Our next stop was Missing Link (thanks Cuffthis). See my note about the f-ed up subway above.

#2 Good thing--Anyway, on the way we ran across this flea market in a garage (two levels of it) and bought two lovely drawings from some designer I didn't know. And we lucked out when we noticed that one actually had another sketch on the back. Very cool stuff that will go nicely with the other stuff on our walls.

#5 Bad thing--got to Missing Link. The links are stunningly gorgeous and the owner was very nice. And again my gf was going to buy! Unfortunately they are very very very expensive. Every pair we looked at was no less than $160 or so. Some (the ones we like the most of course) we well into the 100s of dollars.

Lunch from a hot dog vendor (love it!). And back down the block to an outdoor flea market. Didn't really find anything worthwhile. There was a nice set of cocktail glasses but we passed thinking that they would just break on the way home.

Back to the hotel room for a refresher before dinner and a show.
#3 Good thing--dinner was at Thalia on 50th and 8th I think. We both really enjoyed it. I have no idea what sort of rep it has or anything but it was good. I had a great tuna sashimi apetizer and poppyseed encrusted salmon for an entree. The waiter was particular good and the bill was reasonable.

#4 Good thing--we saw The 25th Annual Putnam Co. Spelling Bee right across the street at Circle in the Square. It was amazing. So good. You never catch half of the show from just listening to the soundtrack.

Afterwards we went to a nearby bar/cafe and had a drink and some desert.

Sunday we planned to go to MoMa in the morning but the line was far too long, so we just went over to 5th for the Easter Parade (we brought our hats) and wandered for a while.

#5 Good thing--they have recently opened the observation deck at Rockefeller Center and so we went up there. It was really nice. The line was very short (as opposed to the Empire St Building where we didn't even attempt to go). Wonderful views.

Then we walked back to the hotel to freshen up, pack up last minute items, and check out. Quick cab to Penn Station, onto the train, and home.

It was a great trip and I love NYC. I really wish we could both find jobs there but I fear it would mean living in abject poverty and not really getting to enjoy the amenities. At least next time we will go for more than the weekend. This was our 2nd annual Easter weekend trip to NYC. I think we will extend it to 4-5 days from now on. There simply was not enough (any) time to oggle EG and JL shoes, HF suits, etc.

bob

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob,
I'm glad you enjoyed the city. Putnam County Spelling Bee is definitely one of the more entertaining, light-hearted shows on Broadway right now. I love the audience participation--they really poured it on a well-dressed, middle-aged woman with a leopard print shall.

"For winning her last Bee, Ms. Blah Blah's mother let her child dye her hair crimson red." (The woman in question was definitely hiding a little gray with the bottle. The expression on her face was priceless).

We should have another NYC outing again. We just need to find another major sample sale... Asprey, Paul Stuart, umm...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant

We should have another NYC outing again. We just need to find another major sample sale... Asprey, Paul Stuart, umm...

Beretta and Loro Piana sample sales are both rapidly approaching.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I love the audience participation--they really poured it on a well-dressed, middle-aged woman with a leopard print shall.

Oh yes, this was excellent. We've been debating whether or not everything went as planned in our show. The last remaining audience participant got one right that it seemed she was supposed to miss. The Vice Principal sort of had a look of "oh crap, she got it right". But it is hard to tell if that was just part of the show. Did it happen when you saw it?

Listening to the soundtrack you just can't wait to see William Barfe, but it turns out that Leaf Coneybear really steals the show imo.

bob

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I take the subway (A or C) from 42nd (one stop up from Penn St) to Columbus Circle every (week)day and I've never really had a problem. Maybe it was because you were there on a weekend and there might have been service disruptions.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Hmm, I take the subway (A or C) from 42nd (one stop up from Penn St) to Columbus Circle every (week)day and I've never really had a problem. Maybe it was because you were there on a weekend and there might have been service disruptions.

Yeah, the 1 wasn't running at all on weekends I think. The A and C had funny express-only routes also (and even the local was coming to the express platform). Anything north of Columbus circle was an express from what I could gather. It just seemed a pain.

It should have been really easy to make the two short trips but there were so many changes it made it a real challenge.

bob

montmorency

Reaction score
What made you think that Syms would be a good thing? It took me only a couple of visits years ago to decide not to bother with that store. I've never heard positive comments about them here either.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally have good luck at Syms. This trip was a bust though. The suit was a big disappointment--I was looking forward to a new HSM navy suit. If I had had a few hundred more I would have bought the HF.

And I always manage to find a few things (shirts, cardigan, etc.) that are both cheap and great looking.

bob

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you liked the play. I'd highly recommend the minimalist Sweeney Todd if you get the chance to go back before the run is over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads