• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Rings

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preface: I enjoy very nice things (who doesn't). I, like everyone here, purchase sometimes expensive clothes and watches.

But when it came to my wedding ring, I wanted something sturdy that could withstand my active lifestyle. I didn't want anything that I would be too afraid to get scraped or scratched. So I bought a $65 Titanium ring. I love it.

Get what fits your lifestyle.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Mine will look like this:

The-One-Ring2.jpg

Mine is like that too, but you can only see the letters if it is left in a hot fire for a few minutes. I think it is much more elegant that way.

Also, mine makes me invisible, which is a good way to get out of having to do housework.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Mine is like that too, but you can only see the letters if it is left in a hot fire for a few minutes. I think it is much more elegant that way.

Also, mine makes me invisible, which is a good way to get out of having to do housework.

So, which did you choose? Did you screw the queen and kill the king, or did you just grow lonely and old, and let your hair grow scraggly?

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Actually, I will probably end up with this:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item...+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

There aren't enough specs on that page for me to compare on that basis, but I researched this subject a great deal last year, and I'd guess that you'd get more for your money if you skipped the blue box and got a Benchmark ring instead. The quality is as good as--if not better than--you'll get anywhere else, and the lifetime guarantee is interesting.

Benchmark rings

I haven't done a price comparison recently, but Goldenmine was the least expensive of the authorized Benchmark dealers at the time of my purchase. This is the ring I bought, although the price has gone up considerably since then.

The only negative I found about Benchmark is that they don't do custom designs, which doesn't appear to be a concern for you.

Re Chris Ploof, mentioned in another post: I strongly considered getting something of his, but in the end, it seemed too pricey. But it wouldn't have taken too much looser a budget to have made the decision a very close call.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, which did you choose? Did you screw the queen and kill the king, or did you just grow lonely and old, and let your hair grow scraggly?

See, I thought about that, but I learned the hard way that my ring is from another book. I actually attemped to become lord of Middle Earth, but became corrupt and overconfident, and was overthrown by hairy midgets.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
We had matching bands done by Chris Ploof from the Boston area in Mokume Gane which is layers of metal that blend together in a pattern like woodgrain which is how the samurai made made their sword blades. It is a mix of platinium and white gold. He even set a custom yellow diamond in my wife's ring.

The attached photo is not too great but you can check out his work at chrisploof.com

He also does damascus steel and meteorite rings. Interesting stuff and we are quite happy with them.

i was going to mention this. i took jewellery making/design and this is one of my favourite design techniques. rose gold/white gold/platinum looks especially beautiful.

here is a nice piece.
http://pvsunday.blogspot.com/2008/07...does-dara.html

i dont know if you care how its done but just for fun heres how lol.
you take sheets of lets say rose gold, white gold, you hard solder them together. lets say you make a sandwich, rose,white,rose,white,rose,white. you then roll it to make sure its extremely compact, then hammer it so that the metals mix. then when you file it you will get the wood grain pattern. there is your lesson of the day!

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Here is a poor camera phone pic of my wedding ring. I will take abetter pic later. Its riveted together and gives a look similar to the metal facade on some of Frank Gehry's fairly recent work...ex. Millenium Park in Chicago.
ring.png

millionaire75

Reaction score
One thing I don't like about the ring I picked out is it is very shiny and reflective....it is made of platinum.....have you found that this dulls over time?

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
One thing I don't like about the ring I picked out is it is very shiny and reflective....it is made of platinum.....have you found that this dulls over time?
Yes, it will dull over time.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
See, I thought about that, but I learned the hard way that my ring is from another book. I actually attemped to become lord of Middle Earth, but became corrupt and overconfident, and was overthrown by hairy midgets.

Must be a ***** to get sunglasses for that single eye of yours ...

My wife and I had our rings designed in white gold by a local artist. Hers features an irregular wave-relief. Mine has two plain bands sandwiching a recessed band with the same waves and two plain dolphins level with the outside bands.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have plain 24K gold wedding rings made in Thailand which have a beautiful color.

There are small scratches on it which give it character....

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
You can get a different finish anytime. Mine had a nice matte finish until a sales associate at a jewelry store offered to clean and polish it for me. It came back shiny! Doh. Starting to get a patina though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics