• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wedding Attire (as a guest)

khaller

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm attending a childhood friend's wedding this weekend and would like your opinion(s) on what to wear to both the wedding and the reception (two hours separates them). I have with me khakis, black pleated pants, and grey pleated pants. I also have a solid black suit and a grey plaid sportscoat and several ties of various colors. My closet also has several solid white dress shirts, jeans, and various polos. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics. It's very important that I don't over/under dress. Thanks for your help!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaller
Hi everyone,

I'm attending a childhood friend's wedding this weekend and would like your opinion(s) on what to wear to both the wedding and the reception (two hours separates them). I have with me khakis, black pleated pants, and grey pleated pants. I also have a solid black suit and a grey plaid sportscoat and several ties of various colors. My closet also has several solid white dress shirts, jeans, and various polos. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics. It's very important that I don't over/under dress. Thanks for your help!

it sounds to me like you have nothing to wear. in your case i would bust out the black suit and white shirt. make sure you wear a bright tie so as not to look like you're at a funeral. add a bright pocket square if you have one.

CoryB

Reaction score
Where is the wedding and reception being held?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go naked. LOL !

seriously - wear black suit with pronounced tie and pocket square

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
given the choices mentioned, i'd go for the black suit.

but if you have some money to burn, i'd advise you getting a nice charcoal grey suit- you'll never know when you'll need it next.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the black suit and ANYTHING BUT WHITE for the shirt. Well, white's ok if it's absolutely all you have, but try to avoid it if at all possible.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Given those options, wear the suit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea dont let the SF stigma of the dreaded black suit prevent you from wearing it. But as others have said, don't wear a white shirt or guests might be asking you for a refill on drinks during the reception. The suggestion of a tastefully bright tie and pocket square is a great one.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.