Wedding Attire (as a guest)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by khaller, Jul 4, 2006.

1. khaller

khaller Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm attending a childhood friend's wedding this weekend and would like your opinion(s) on what to wear to both the wedding and the reception (two hours separates them). I have with me khakis, black pleated pants, and grey pleated pants. I also have a solid black suit and a grey plaid sportscoat and several ties of various colors. My closet also has several solid white dress shirts, jeans, and various polos. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics. It's very important that I don't over/under dress. Thanks for your help!

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Hi everyone,

I'm attending a childhood friend's wedding this weekend and would like your opinion(s) on what to wear to both the wedding and the reception (two hours separates them). I have with me khakis, black pleated pants, and grey pleated pants. I also have a solid black suit and a grey plaid sportscoat and several ties of various colors. My closet also has several solid white dress shirts, jeans, and various polos. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics. It's very important that I don't over/under dress. Thanks for your help!

it sounds to me like you have nothing to wear. in your case i would bust out the black suit and white shirt. make sure you wear a bright tie so as not to look like you're at a funeral. add a bright pocket square if you have one.

3. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

Where is the wedding and reception being held?

4. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

go naked. LOL !

seriously - wear black suit with pronounced tie and pocket square

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

given the choices mentioned, i'd go for the black suit.

but if you have some money to burn, i'd advise you getting a nice charcoal grey suit- you'll never know when you'll need it next.

6. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Go with the black suit and ANYTHING BUT WHITE for the shirt. Well, white's ok if it's absolutely all you have, but try to avoid it if at all possible.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Given those options, wear the suit.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yea dont let the SF stigma of the dreaded black suit prevent you from wearing it. But as others have said, don't wear a white shirt or guests might be asking you for a refill on drinks during the reception. The suggestion of a tastefully bright tie and pocket square is a great one.