• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Attire (as a guest)

khaller

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm attending a childhood friend's wedding this weekend and would like your opinion(s) on what to wear to both the wedding and the reception (two hours separates them). I have with me khakis, black pleated pants, and grey pleated pants. I also have a solid black suit and a grey plaid sportscoat and several ties of various colors. My closet also has several solid white dress shirts, jeans, and various polos. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics. It's very important that I don't over/under dress. Thanks for your help!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaller
Hi everyone,

I'm attending a childhood friend's wedding this weekend and would like your opinion(s) on what to wear to both the wedding and the reception (two hours separates them). I have with me khakis, black pleated pants, and grey pleated pants. I also have a solid black suit and a grey plaid sportscoat and several ties of various colors. My closet also has several solid white dress shirts, jeans, and various polos. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics. It's very important that I don't over/under dress. Thanks for your help!

it sounds to me like you have nothing to wear. in your case i would bust out the black suit and white shirt. make sure you wear a bright tie so as not to look like you're at a funeral. add a bright pocket square if you have one.

CoryB

Reaction score
Where is the wedding and reception being held?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go naked. LOL !

seriously - wear black suit with pronounced tie and pocket square

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
given the choices mentioned, i'd go for the black suit.

but if you have some money to burn, i'd advise you getting a nice charcoal grey suit- you'll never know when you'll need it next.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the black suit and ANYTHING BUT WHITE for the shirt. Well, white's ok if it's absolutely all you have, but try to avoid it if at all possible.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Given those options, wear the suit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea dont let the SF stigma of the dreaded black suit prevent you from wearing it. But as others have said, don't wear a white shirt or guests might be asking you for a refill on drinks during the reception. The suggestion of a tastefully bright tie and pocket square is a great one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads