• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing undershirts under dress shirts/casual shirts?

JimmyT

Reaction score
Here are my undershirt rules:

Button down - no tie: V-neck undershirt...if it is a short sleeved shirt, be sure your undershirt sleeves don't extend anywhere near the shirt sleeves. I usually don't wear undershirts with short-sleeved shirts.

Button down - tie: If you can see a darker area by where your chest hair is exposed, or you can in any way notice the v-neck through your shirt, wear a crew. If not, then a v-neck is fine.

I'm not a big fan of the wife-beaters as they leave the armpits open.

--JT

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
I always wear a crew neck t-shirt that is in a contrasting or complimentary color to the sport shirt I'm wearing. And I make certain that at least a bit of the colored t-shirt peaks out from under my open shirt collar.

Originally Posted by supercarl
this is a fashion crime in my eyes

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style140
22 male here. I dont wear dress shirts for work b/c i do not work. But i do have button up shirts for going out that i wear that are stripe shirts that goes with jeans and shoes.

The thing is i have ALWAYS weared wifebeaters under my shirt. Is this wrong? Reason is i read that if it shows it is horrible according to some people. Pretty much i always wear wifebeaters all year round whether its winter or summer under what i wear.

Some people wear t shirts under their shirts. Is that bad? When should you be wearing wifebeaters under a shirt and when you shouldnt? What about t shirts? I always wear jeans by the way and loafers when i wear my button downs with these shirts.

Thanks.

I fully believe that you aren't employed, because your writing style implies that you are about to reenter the eighth grade for the umpteenth time.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear a crew neck t-shirt that is in a contrasting or complimentary color to the sport shirt I'm wearing. And I make certain that at least a bit of the colored t-shirt peaks out from under my open shirt collar.

Originally Posted by supercarl
this is a fashion crime in my eyes

Originally Posted by JoelF

The worst one mentioned in this thread yet.

mbell

Reaction score
But these days I spend most of my time by far, in casual attire. And over the last few years I've developed what I sometimes refer to as my "signature look"... I always wear a crew neck t-shirt that is in a contrasting or complimentary color to the sport shirt I'm wearing. And I make certain that at least a bit of the colored t-shirt peaks out from under my open shirt collar.

Dennis

We may be the only ones, but I too like to do this from time to time with certain color combinations, although not frequently. For me it is usually a black T-shirt with grey or mostly grey button down. Definitely a very casual look though, usually with jeans or cords.

Otherwise I wear a white V neck most of the time.

mike

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
We may be the only ones, but I too like to do this from time to time with certain color combinations, although not frequently. For me it is usually a black T-shirt with grey or mostly grey button down. Definitely a very casual look though, usually with jeans or cords.

eek.gif

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Until now I've held off on posting any "self-portraits" here in the SF... Because after over 30 years of following fashion and amassing a huge wardrobe, I've come to the conclusion that all the "rules" are just so much BS created by guys who think they know more than the next guy. Although I do still pay attention to trends and very much enjoy looking at what's going on in the world of fashion, I wear what I like, what I'm comfortable wearing, and what I think looks good on me. I just stepped outside and took a quick photo. And as always I'm wearing one of my contrasting T-shirts. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...2619&page=1527 Dennis

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good look. More complementing than contrasting, I'd have thought. The colors are well-chosen.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
More complementing than contrasting, I'd have thought.
Thank you for that... It's amazing how many shades of blue didn't work until I tried that particular T-shirt (I meant to take a shot earlier today of my solid, colored T-shirt collection...I'm not certain of how many I have, but it's a lot. Many, many nuanced flavors of every color. I'll try to grab a pic later). Here's a tighter shot so that you can better see the colors:
Selfportrait8-23-08tight.jpg

bdbb

Reaction score
The wifebeater looks really trashy if it shows through your shirt. Wear a v-neck for no-tie, or a standard undershirt with a tie.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimmyT

I'm not a big fan of the wife-beaters as they leave the armpits open.

--JT

Couldn't agree more. For me it doesn't matter if I'm using deodorant or anti-perspirant, I'm going to sweat in the armpits and I want something there besides my dress shirt to soak it up.

Most days, I'm in a suit and tie so I go with a crew neck since they are the easiest for me to find on a budget. When I want to "cut loose" and undo the top button, I go with the v-neck.

effang

Reaction score
i've never worn an undershirt...

i can't seem to get over the fact that people say an undershirt keeps them cooler? how exactly is that supposed to work.

the one thing i do know is that undershirts soak up some sweat...but if you're sweating that much, the sweat is going to soak into your shirt as well correct?

ozonemania

Reaction score
I do wear undershirts under all my shirts. It keeps my shirt looking fresh longer throughout the day. The humidity/perspiration from your skin just causes the fibers in your shirts to soften quicker, and then more prone to wrinkling and crumpling. An undershirt slows this down considerably.

I prefer V-necks over crew necks but I have both depending on what type of shirt I'm wearing.

I don't wear A-shirts (aka wifebeaters) often especially not if you can see the outline while wearing a shirt. However, they do work for me as I mostly perspire on my chest and back, and that's really where this type of undershirt excels. It stays close to the body, which means it wicks and doesn't add bulk to your frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads