• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Penny Loafer With Chinos

Fotios

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the world of classic men's wear, and am in the process of acquiring some footwear. I recently purchased a pair of burgundy penny loafers from Spier and Mackay, which I wear with a suit. I would like to get some more use out of these in casual wear, if I can. I believe they are calf leather.

Would these shoes be appropriate to wear in a more casual outfit, such as chinos and an oxford cloth button down shirt? I did some research, and couldn't seem to get a clear answer. It does seem that these loafers are more formal than something with contrast stitching, a more casual material (ie. suede), or a less sleek toe shape.

Would appreciate any opinions/advice on this - thanks!

20230528_224148.jpg

20230528_224310.jpg

20230528_224159.jpg

Last edited:

GrayBart

Reaction score
Normally I would NOT combine penny loafers with a suit.

Depending on the brand, I MIGHT combine tassel loafers with a suit.

I have paired the Allen Edmonds Grayson with suits many times.

In contrast, I would not wear any of the G.H. Bass tassel loafers with a suit.

They are delightful products; I just wouldn't wear them with a suit.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above. They'd actually be more appropriate with casual clothing than with a suit. Your suit needs some oxfords though, in this day and age, a particularly elegant derby would work.

Fotios

Reaction score
Thanks all for the helpful replies. Good to know that these might not be such a good match with a suit.

I plan to wear them with

1. chinos + oxford cloth button down shirt
2. mid-grey flannel trousers + wool sweater

Any thoughts on wearing these loafers with dark/un-distressed raw selvedge denim jeans (again, with an ocbd, or maybe a wool sweater)? Any additional suggestions for outfits to wear with these?

rjc149

Reaction score
Brown loafers are pretty versatile for any casual or less-than-formal outfit. As stated above, some loafer styles are dressier than others. The loafers you have are on the dressier side, which I personally think would clash with denim (I don't believe jeans should be dressed up) so I would stick to chinos or slacks with that pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads