• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a white dinner jacket at the opera?

sayluncheon

Reaction score
The problem is as follows:

I don't own a black dinner jacket in summer quality, but several lightweight black trousers I have no particular use for. Now I wonder what you'd think of combining them with a white dinner jacket when going to the opera. Of course, they do not have galons and do have belt loops, but if I wear a cummerbund, no one will probably be able to tell the difference - especially since the informality at my local opera house has reached levels that are quite ridiculous. You see plenty of guys just wearing t-shirts and jeans, and those who have some dignity left put on what seems to be the first suit hanging in their closets.

As I don't own a white dinner jacket either, I have to decide whether to buy one, or instead a black tuxedo suitable for summer wear - or, settle to suits but that's not quite an option.

Also: How do you handle the sluggishness of the majority of people around you at gatherings that would, to your understanding, require more formal attire?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black trousers with white tux seems acceptable. Simply have them altered to have a proper grosgrain stripe down the side and have them hemmed at an appropriate length.

HOWEVER. The appropriate attire for any occasion is what other people say it is. No matter what "the rules" are, if you're somewhere with 500 people in Jeans and T-Shirt, then you shouldn't wear a tux. If it is a 50/50 split or something, then fine, go with what ever you feel, but there is no way that you can/will/should change the prevailing view of society, and will come off as a massive douche if you try to. The state of current dress is sad, but it is also a decision decided up on by the masses, as every cultural change has been since the history of man. Wearing a tux at the wrong time is just as stupid as wearing crocs at the wrong time (ever, in the case of crocs).

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should not wear any odd black trousers with a white evening dress coat: That would look awful. Either dot he job properly or not at all.

However I agree that you are making too much of this, if the general rule is down market then you should not seek to challenge that. You will merely look as if you think yourself above the rest of the populace and the apparel you suggest borders on gross affectation in the circumstances you describe.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GBR, not that I think that you're wrong but why are you against odd black trousers?

If a stripe is added and belt loops are covered by a cummerbund then I'm struggling to see the difference between odd black trousers and black dress trousers. I've never made or commissioned a white tux with Black trousers so have no frame of reference.

ykurtz

Reaction score

The problem is as follows:

I don't own a black dinner jacket in summer quality, but several lightweight black trousers I have no particular use for. Now I wonder what you'd think of combining them with a white dinner jacket when going to the opera. Of course, they do not have galons and do have belt loops, but if I wear a cummerbund, no one will probably be able to tell the difference - especially since the informality at my local opera house has reached levels that are quite ridiculous. You see plenty of guys just wearing t-shirts and jeans, and those who have some dignity left put on what seems to be the first suit hanging in their closets.

As I don't own a white dinner jacket either, I have to decide whether to buy one, or instead a black tuxedo suitable for summer wear - or, settle to suits but that's not quite an option.

Also: How do you handle the sluggishness of the majority of people around you at gatherings that would, to your understanding, require more formal attire?

You're trying to write checks your sartorial bank account can't cash.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's your local opera house and people wear what they like then please go ahead and wear the jacket. Don't bother altering any of the trousers, it'll be fine. You'll look great. Enjoy the opera.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

HOWEVER. The appropriate attire for any occasion is what other people say it is. No matter what "the rules" are, if you're somewhere with 500 people in Jeans and T-Shirt, then you shouldn't wear a tux. If it is a 50/50 split or something, then fine, go with what ever you feel, but there is no way that you can/will/should change the prevailing view of society, and will come off as a massive douche if you try to. The state of current dress is sad, but it is also a decision decided up on by the masses, as every cultural change has been since the history of man. Wearing a tux at the wrong time is just as stupid as wearing crocs at the wrong time (ever, in the case of crocs).

I think I agree with this, but there is a danger of it's being misinterpreted. Of course, if EVERYONE at an opera were wearing jeans and a t-shirt, then if you as a patron wear a dinner jacket, that is a bit over the top. But so long as a recognizable fraction are wearing suits and ties, I don't think a dinner jacket is out of place. Opera performances in cities are anonymous public functions with large audiences. It's not as though you're showing up a guest of honor at a small event by outdressing him.

Obviously, the more intimate the gathering, the more one should pay attention to the likely dress standard. But people should also remember that this doesn't mean one must dress as slobbishly as it is likely that the host and other guests will. It is polite to dress with somewhat more effort than your host: he's making an effort, so you should too. If the host is lilely to be wearing a button-down shirt and slacks, and no dress code has been issued, then it is perfectly polite for a guest to wear a sports coat.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think I agree with this, but there is a danger of it's being misinterpreted. Of course, if EVERYONE at an opera were wearing jeans and a t-shirt, then if you as a patron wear a dinner jacket, that is a bit over the top. But so long as a recognizable fraction are wearing suits and ties, I don't think a dinner jacket is out of place. Opera performances in cities are anonymous public functions with large audiences. It's not as though you're showing up a guest of honor at a small event by outdressing him.

I agree wit hall of this from T_A. If you AND your date/the rest of your party is dressed in evening attire, I don't see anything wrong with going to the opera in a dinner jacket. Even if the other people there think you're overdressed for the opera, for all they know you've come from or are afterwards going to a posh party of some sort that requires a dinner jacket. If you're in a dinner jacket and your date is in business attire or something even more informal, then that would look incongruous to me and be awkward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads