• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a DB without a tie

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a Thom Browne DB suit but I don't wear ties. I am taking crazy pills? Post pics of DB worn without ties if you got them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I once went out of town for what I though was going to be a day, ended up staying two, and had only one suit, a DB. I wore it back on the train with no tie. I felt very rakish. I have never done it again.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Thinking of getting a Thom Browne DB suit but I don't wear ties. I am taking crazy pills? Post pics of DB worn without ties if you got them.
I think you can do it. I don't know if I can.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I once went out of town for what I though was going to be a day, ended up staying two, and had only one suit, a DB. I wore it back on the train with no tie. I felt very rakish. I have never done it again.

"Rakish" sounds good but "never done it again" implies it might not have been a good thing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
"Rakish" sounds good but "never done it again" implies it might not have been a good thing.

I did it out of necessity. Actually, not quite, as I could have worn a tie on the train home, I just did not bother. I thought it looked OK. Almost cool.

But I am not cool, and the rules chip in my brain resumed its rightful control over my actions.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know I have read about someone doing this once. The book is from the 1950's and is out of print and I can't find it on Amazon. I will try to remember to take a scan of the page describing the attempt (it was pretty successful, as I recall). Something about taking the train into the city to have lunch with a college buddy the main character hadn't seen in fifteen years. They were meeting at the friends club and the main character decided he wasn't going to put on his tie until he reached Grand Central.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think you can do it. I don't know if I can.

I look rather young, not sure a DB is the time to throw "the rules" by the window. I sorta like ties but not on me, exceptions aside. I thought about getting bowties but thankfully woke up and realized that just wasn't happening.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FWIW, I can recall one or two AA pics that show this:

40southernweariselaboraxf8.jpg

But the caption for that one was something about "not giving a damn how you look" so take that FWIW.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
One of the things I liked about it when I did it is I was wearing one of my DBs with a long roll, so that it buttoned at the bottom, like in the pic. I don't know if I would do it with a DB that had a hard, short roll to the middle.

I may do this again. I need an occasion, something at which to look cool.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
One of the things I liked about it when I did it is I was wearing one of my DBs with a long roll, so that it buttoned at the bottom, like in the pic. I don't know if I would do it with a DB that had a hard, short roll to the middle. I may do this again. I need an occasion, something at which to look cool.
Go to a website meetup in San Francisco. They have lots of cool kids. Personally, I wouldn't wear a DB suit without a tie as this kind of in-your-face coolness is a little to aggressive for me. A knit tie would be cool enough.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in London, I saw a rather dashing fellow in Mayfair who was walking down the street in a very British navy chalk stripe DB with a white shirt and no tie. It looked rather insouciant and cool.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Go to a website meetup in San Francisco. they have lots of cool kids.
If you wanted to join a theater company, I could pull some strings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads