• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wayfarer

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought them a few weeks ago in tortoise shell. I think they're great.

Funny story, these girls were talking about sunglasses and one was trying to describe to the other these 'new' sunglasses that are gaining more 'popularity,' but they couldn't pin-point which Tom Cruise movie they saw them in. So I turn around and say "I'm wearing them, and it was Risky Business."

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
People need to stop with this wayfarer business on the real.

No offense surface.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
People need to stop with this wayfarer business on the real.

No offense surface.

Non taken. And, that story wasnt that funny. *egg in my face*

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
crackup[1].gif

It's ok dude.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im not really a wayfarer person. Im more of an aviator person- but not the traditional ray ban huge ass aviators. Something smaller such as the Oliver Peoples Aero or small and a bit different such as the Mykita Rolf...

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They'll always be the sunglasses of choice for Jake and Elwood Blues.

I like 'em, but I'd have to get them as a prescription since I don't wear contacts. I also had no idea they were "in".

Oldboy

Reaction score
I bought a pair in black a month ago and love em. I was at the mall the other day and saw a bunch of knockoffs. Are Wayfarers the new aviators?

Mixwell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oldboy
Are Wayfarers the new aviators?

This is mostly because they've swung back into mainstream popularity with celebs; "Wayfarers were brought back into fashion in the mid-2000s, with Chloe Sevigny starting the trend.[13] Celebrities including Kirsten Dunst, Mischa Barton, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Drew Barrymore, Kate Moss, and Sienna Miller followed suit.[14] Ray-Ban re-released the original style of the Wayfarer as the centerpiece in its 2007 Spring/Summer collection." - From Wiki

Originally Posted by dhinggok
i think i am just worried that the glasses are too feminine...thoughts?

I don't think they are; I've got a pair of 2113 909/47 (54mm tortoise polarized), and I think they look great. One of my girlfriends gave me crap recently about looking like "Mischa," and I just glared at her. They're sort of the new "it" of the moment glasses with females, but they certainly look equally good on guys.

teeo

Reaction score
hey guys, noob question. help would be greatly appreciated.

on the official ray-ban site the measurements for wayfarers are as follows for the different models:

rb2143 - 47/50 mm
rb2151 - 49/52 mm
rb2132 - 52/55 mm
rb2140 - 50/54 mm
rb4105 - 50/54 mm

what do they represent? is it width and length or length and width?

thanks

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teeo
hey guys, noob question. help would be greatly appreciated. on the official ray-ban site the measurements for wayfarers are as follows for the different models: rb2143 - 47/50 mm rb2151 - 49/52 mm rb2132 - 52/55 mm rb2140 - 50/54 mm rb4105 - 50/54 mm what do they represent? is it width and length or length and width? thanks
rb2140 = original wayfarer 2143 = wayfarer II (original in new colors) 2151 = wayfarer squared 2132 = new wayfarers 4105 = folding wayfarers the model numbers are completely confusing and have nothing to do with the sizes. the second set of numbers correspond to the available lense widths. if you look at the inside arm of the glasses, there should be a set of numbers after the model number. for example, 54-18-135... corresponds to lens width, bridge width, and side arm length

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wayfarers are stylish, but too trendy/fadish. i'm into more classic shapes.... like:

Persol28722847x.jpg

Persol3x.jpg

Persol 2872 & 2847 [i'm planning turn into prescription]
sunglasses.jpg

Aviators: Paul Smith Platinum & RB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads