• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Water to Wine: How I Alter Thrift Finds

Billbeme

Reaction score
Hello friends! I was an apprentice for an alterationist over this past summer and have been eager to showcase what I learned. When I started reading and asking questions on styleforum the first thing I learned was that fit is everything. I don't have excess funds at my disposal. So I bought a used sewing machine on craigslist.org for $40 and went to work learning to make any Thrift Shop find look as best as possible. Since starting out, I have learned how to alter ***** and pants. Below is my latest alteration and the most significant change in size I have ever done on a shirt. Thanks for indulging me!
DSC_0055_2.JPG
The shirt. A Land's End Oxford Cotton White/Blue striped shirt. $4.00
DSC_0056.JPG
Shirt ironed and laid flat to pin.
DSC_0058.JPG
I start by marking the shoulders using a template I've made from another shirt with shoulders I found comfortable.
DSC_0059.JPG
Next I use another template made from a shirt I found to be an ideal fit. I match this template up with the marks I've made at the shoulders. Next (not pictured) I use a third template on the arms. The strip cut out of the middle of this template is to act as a "window" so that I can align the template using the front placket of the shirt.
DSC_0060_2.JPG

The finished product!
smile.gif

You can tell I haven't switched shirts (perhaps I should have had an audience member write their name on the torso in permanent marker before I started) because there is clearly a large amount of fabric remaining at the shoulder blades. I have been working on this for about 14 months and now shirts take me about an hour or hour and a half. It is my Sunday night project leaving me with a new shirt for school each week. You can't rush a long process. I learned that on this site. Thanks!

Last edited:

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worship.gif
Well done sir. This is exactly what I need to do with my latest thrift store finds (a blue jcrew oxford size M and a glen plaid nautica dress shirt, 15 1/2 collar).
I guess I'll have to resort to my tailor for now...

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how did you go about becoming an apprentice?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, nice work.

hilarious that someone once wore the unaltered, mammoth version around and assumed it "fit."

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Billbeme
...there is clearly a large amount of fabric remaining at the shoulder blades.

Why?

BaaBaaBlackFleece

Reaction score
very crafty! I also do a lot of my own simple alterations. My mom was a seamstress when I was growing up, and it apparantly rubbed off. Sewing is definitely a useful skill for thrifters.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't do much about the shoulders but that's impressive nonetheless. I have a moderately expensive sewing machine at home that's collecting dust and I should really do something about it.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great for what it came from.

I have a Zegna 100% rayon shirt I bought off ebay for fairly cheap. It's huge, something like a 29 chest, maybe 30. But it was listed as 26 p2p. I didn't make a fuss over it though. Then again, neither have I ever worn it.

Have no idea what to do with it. I can't sell it - no one is going to buy a 30 p2p shirt, and wouldn't feel comfortable listing on ebay without letting the buyer know that's it's a ******* tent. I just love the material, that's it, and so might have to do what you've done. I don't care if it doesn't fit perfect.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not spend that much effort on a land's end shirt. It'd be one thing if you found a half decent shirt to do it on. It's not bad, but it has some awkward elements. The pocket for example is in a strange location, and the placket looks quite bulky on the now slimmed down version of the shirt. The shoulders are off, and the collar is sorta bizarre looking.

It looks like it took quite a bit of skill to do and that's definitely a skill I'd like to have. But while it may seem awesome right now to do this, I think when it will really pay off is when you can afford decent shirts and then can alter a "quite good" shirt into a nearly perfect MTM looking piece. In fact, if I were you, I'd save up a little and buy a decent shirt on sale or off B&S that is much closer to your size. You can probably find someone selling a small (I don't know your size, although I'm going to guess small) J Crew shirt or something on B&S for like $20 that will probably fit you fairly well but be off by a few degrees in all areas and turn it into a really great looking shirt instead of turning a piece of garbage into something decent but not breathtaking. I am pretty impressed with what you've done, don't get me wrong, I'd really love to see you turn a good shirt into a great one.

This is a cool thread though. Kudos, fun to see people DIY. Also, it's a little patronizing to say "mommy and daddy's credit card," since most people on this forum work to afford their clothing. I'm a student, but I pay for all my own clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads