• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch guys, sell two conservative watches for one fun watch?

Mathew J

Reaction score
So here is my question/dilemma...

I currently have two spendy conservative watches with these:

52d32d85.jpg

And I have been off and on thinking of selling at least one as I really only wear the Submariner, or possibly both for something cheaper and more fun in my eyes like this:

diverph9.jpg

Though I wonder if that is a bad move given the sharp jump in prices on the Rolex since I bought it, I just feel bored with what I have but don't want to rush into something for the sake of excitement.

Any other fun and busy looking strap watches appreciated

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
Do you need the money? Is it a way to liquidate capital? If so, yes, but only you can decide. I wouldn't have any regrets in selling a watch that doesn't get any wrist time. And maybe your current watches have too similar usage. I like the idea of a "fun" watch, just recently fell in love with ulysee nardin freak blue phantom, but i can only hope to afford one some day. And afford one as a novelty watch.

But I personaly think the longines isn't that far off from your submariner.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Omega is more suitable for a wide range of situations. Wear the Rolex with a suit and you'll look like a rube (to the iGents, anyway, if that matters to you).

HOWEVER, keep the Rolex if you want a watch you can sell later that will probably not depreciate at all between now and the eventual sale date.

DO NOT get the Longines instead - IMO it is highly inferior to either of the watches you now have.

To recap:

Sell the Rolex if you plan to wear the Omega for the rest of your life, or you are concerned about wearing the Sub with business attire

Sell the Omega now if you think you might also sell the Rolex one day.

Do not buy the Longines

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Longines is a sad JLC Polaris rip-off. You could sell the Rolex and Omega, then buy a real Polaris.

micmicmotorbike

Reaction score
I would take the Omega off your hands for the right price. Is that an automatic-I hope?
-Skip the Longines...you have 2 beutiful REAL watches. If anything sell them, and get something you really want, that's REAL of course.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1.

Being into clothing is a passion but when it comes to watches it seems to be an ideology. For the record I like the Rollie (much cooler than most swiss brands + the brand has that vulgarity to it that is awesome) but not the other two watches...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The JLC Polaris, as recently re-issued:

jaeger_lecoultre_memovox_polaris_tribute_watch.jpg

instep

Reaction score
I like that Omega - ref. number?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Longines is a sad JLC Polaris rip-off. You could sell the Rolex and Omega, then buy a real Polaris.

I don't think so - the new Polaris is around $20,000, isn't it?

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally would'nt sell a Rolex and an Omega just to get a Longines. But that's just me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
I don't think so - the new Polaris is around $20,000, isn't it?

It's about $10k at retail, which means more like $7k to buy.

Toorman

Reaction score
Good eye mafoofan. Saw that Longines and my immediate thought was what a ripoff of the new Polaris which is a beauty.

Purchase and keep what you like and wear. Now is a great time to purchase a watch. Go out and find something you want and take advantage of the current retail environment.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Thanks all,

So as far as the money, I don't need the money, but there is a part of me that feels awkward having this kind of money tied up in two watches and is conflicted especially when I never wear the Omega....

Part of me is of the mindset, you live once so live it up, and also that any money made in selling anything won't amount to much in the long run...

The other is that why have so much tied up into two watches when I feel I might be happier with something else like the Longines.

I love the JLC however the cost and the cost to service are major turnoffs for me, I also like the new IWC aquatimer but that much money on a sport watch that has to be on a strap is a bit of a turnoff for me also.

And with the Rolex or Omega, I am torn as the Sub is more fun, the Omega is made better (finish work, attention to detail) I will lose more money selling the Sub compared to what I paid, but I enjoy wearing the Sub more, so much so that I never wear the Omega (have worn it five times since I bought it last year). I always think if I put it on a strap I might wear it but never bother as that is just more money into the watch and I don't want to buy the tools to change out the bracelet.

I really like the Longines, and from what I understand the model is based of a previous design of theirs so to me it seems original.

Other options I have considered are Panerai and IWC...but both kinda defeat the purpose of selling these two as they are rather spendy.

I also really really really like this watch....

iwcv4.jpg

But wonder if I sold something as iconic as the Rolex for it I would eventually regret that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads