• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm weather clothes

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
boat shoes are a) kinda ugly and b) just a little too everywhere to be distinguished most of the time. what do you think of these?
thumb_068429-09A.jpg
for sale here -> http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=246372 they are available in other colors if you don't want black, run a quick search for +J spring 10

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Just wondering about the Boat shoe hate?

Is it just to waspy for you? I wear Allen Edmonds boat shoes all the time in the summer. I might be too old for sneakers and I don't think men should wear sandals unless they're within 100m of a beach.

Respect your opinion so would appreciate a good argument against boat shoes, even if I don't agree with it.

Please send links to light weight jeans.

Have madras and linen... also trying to think of linen pants that aren't too euro trashy or overly "dressy." White linen pants and a dress shirt reminds me too much of Russian people in Nice and Monaco.

Love the idea of grey jeans... I bought some Slim Finn's the other day... but I'm guessing Nudie is no longer cool on this forum. I guess I should read up on denim but all of the threads here are so dense I wouldn't even know where to begin.

As far as linen pants, epaulet just released a bunch. Here's six right up top:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ers/Categories

And as far as Nudies go, even though people on here hate them they feel great when it's hot outside.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Just wondering about the Boat shoe hate? Is it just to waspy for you? I wear Allen Edmonds boat shoes all the time in the summer. I might be too old for sneakers and I don't think men should wear sandals unless they're within 100m of a beach. Respect your opinion so would appreciate a good argument against boat shoes, even if I don't agree with it. Please send links to light weight jeans. Have madras and linen... also trying to think of linen pants that aren't too euro trashy or overly "dressy." White linen pants and a dress shirt reminds me too much of Russian people in Nice and Monaco. Love the idea of grey jeans... I bought some Slim Finn's the other day... but I'm guessing Nudie is no longer cool on this forum. I guess I should read up on denim but all of the threads here are so dense I wouldn't even know where to begin.
**** "cool on the forum" jeans. Get something lightweight from Acne or Nudie and you'll be perfectly fine. I'm personally stuck in a time warp with Cloak and DH (Hedi era) jeans and it's fine. Oh I wear a pair of american apparel white jeans a lot; I think you're much bigger than me though so you'll look weird in them, get something with a light taper. I don't like american preppy style, it's a dead end IMHO (so no polos, loafers, boat shoes and other crap). Honestly boat shoes are the Ed Hardy of people into style (well Esquire style). You can also get very light cotton v-neck "sweaters". Brands like Margiela and Dries Van Noten make them and so do Avon Celli, Kiton, etc. Just this in like navy, beige linen pants and simple white sneakers (MMM Gats in all white or Common Projects achilles or Stan Smiths white/white) and you'll look fine. I like somewhat light military jackets + tee but maybe you'll find it too "precious", hell even people like D2 used to make good ones. I also recently acquired a pair of +J black dress pants in very light wool and had them cut off at the ankle, looks ok with no socks and white sneakers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear boat shoes on the beach.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^yup, when i'm home from school (parents live by the beach) it just feels sort of right wearing boat shoes. must be a habit from high school days
laugh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
**** "cool on the forum" jeans. Get something lightweight from Acne or Nudie and you'll be perfectly fine. I'm personally stuck in a time warp with Cloak and DH (Hedi era) jeans and it's fine. Oh I wear a pair of american apparel white jeans a lot; I think you're much bigger than me though so you'll look weird in them, get something with a light taper. I don't like american preppy style, it's a dead end IMHO (so no polos, loafers, boat shoes and other crap). Honestly boat shoes are the Ed Hardy of people into style (well Esquire style). You can also get very light cotton v-neck "sweaters". Brands like Margiela and Dries Van Noten make them and so do Avon Celli, Kiton, etc. Just this in like navy, beige linen pants and simple white sneakers (MMM Gats in all white or Common Projects achilles or Stan Smiths white/white) and you'll look fine. I like somewhat light military jackets + tee but maybe you'll find it too "precious", hell even people like D2 used to make good ones. I also recently acquired a pair of +J black dress pants in very light wool and had them cut off at the ankle, looks ok with no socks and white sneakers.
I see what you mean. They're just so traditional if you grew up spending summers in the hamptons or nantucket. But I do see you what you mean. Out of context they probably make you look like a bit of a douchebag. I do have Nudies and plan on buying a few more... I have those grey Slim Finns in a 31 that I like. I have a few Loro Piano light v necks.. problem is that I'm tall and thin so I need a small or medium but require L for length, especially european brands. In a medium, if I lift my arms to shoulder height I've suddenly exposed my stomach, which I'm far from ashamed of, but it's not really appropriate. What do you think about the brand Vince for basics like Ts? I'm told it's like a better AA. Also I'm looking for a very cool leather bomber... basic, well fitting without a bunch of extra **** like zippers. Saw a nice one at Hermes a few years ago but haven't been able to find it since. Also I don't mind Military jackets. I like stuff that has a good tailored structure (please forgive me if how I talk about clothes sounds unlearned, because well, it is.) Funny enough I have a D2 military jacket from like 5 or so years ago when the brand became known to people like me... got it after seeing it in Bryant Park. Have to see if it's still around.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
As far as linen pants, epaulet just released a bunch. Here's six right up top:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ers/Categories

And as far as Nudies go, even though people on here hate them they feel great when it's hot outside.

Will def check out those pants. Do you guys just wear white sneakers with them? I just went to an event and got this pair of fairly basic Prada white sneakers in the gift bag... I don't know how good those things are.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I see what you mean. They're just so traditional if you grew up spending summers in the hamptons or nantucket. But I do see you what you mean. Out of context they probably make you look like a bit of a douchebag.

I do have Nudies and plan on buying a few more... I have those grey Slim Finns in a 31 that I like.

I have a few Avon Celli v necks.. problem is that I'm tall and thin so I need a small or medium but require L for length, especially european brands. In a medium, if I lift my arms to shoulder height I've suddenly exposed my stomach, which I'm far from ashamed of, but it's not really appropriate.

What do you think about the brand Vince for basics like Ts? I'm told it's like a better AA.

Also I'm looking for a very cool leather bomber... basic, well fitting without a bunch of extra **** like zippers. Saw a nice one at Hermes a few years ago but haven't been able to find it since.

I think boat shoes are fine boating or doing some outdoorsy activities surrounding that, just can't see them as street shoes and if I see one more Paris hipster douche wearing them with rolled up pants, dress shirt buttoned up all the way, light jacket and some sort of straw hat to go with his dickhead facial hair I'll get an AK and go on a rampage. I think the same with polos, I like them on skins or when someone lounges at his summer place or some **** like that.

Hermès will be too big for you. Go to Balenciaga or something. Arms are often much too long for me.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will def check out those pants. Do you guys just wear white sneakers with them? I just went to an event and got this pair of fairly basic Prada white sneakers in the gift bag... I don't know how good those things are.

Yep. I wear mine with a pair of really basic GATs and it looks great, IMO.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dmash, is that an organic compound (your avatar)?

rohde88

Reaction score

I see what you mean. They're just so traditional if you grew up spending summers in the hamptons or nantucket. But I do see you what you mean. Out of context they probably make you look like a bit of a douchebag.

I do have Nudies and plan on buying a few more... I have those grey Slim Finns in a 31 that I like.

I have a few Avon Celli v necks.. problem is that I'm tall and thin so I need a small or medium but require L for length, especially european brands. In a medium, if I lift my arms to shoulder height I've suddenly exposed my stomach, which I'm far from ashamed of, but it's not really appropriate.

What do you think about the brand Vince for basics like Ts? I'm told it's like a better AA.

Also I'm looking for a very cool leather bomber... basic, well fitting without a bunch of extra **** like zippers. Saw a nice one at Hermes a few years ago but haven't been able to find it since.

I think boat shoes are fine boating or doing some outdoorsy activities surrounding that, just can't see them as street shoes and if I see one more Paris hipster douche wearing them with rolled up pants, dress shirt buttoned up all the way, light jacket and some sort of straw hat to go with his dickhead facial hair I'll get an AK and go on a rampage. I think the same with polos, I like them on skins or when someone lounges at his summer place or some **** like that.

Hermès will be too big for you. Go to Balenciaga or something. Arms are often much too long for me.
:lol: Same here brother. I wear a lightweight jean, Frye sneakers and a close fitting button down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads