• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanting a weird hairstyle - not sure if possible or not?

hisashi

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been unhappy in some way with my hairstyle for as long as I can remember. My parents used to shave my hair short until I got old enough to refuse, and because they never taught me to go to salons or anything I'm really bad at doing it now. Plus the hairstyle I have in my head's a bit strange - or it might not be, but I don't know how to explain it. I'm 19 now and I think it's really time I had something I wanted, but with the kind of thing I'm thinking of I'm worried it has the capacity to go very wrong.

The main things I'm inspired by are men's medium hairstyles roughly 1960-1990, e.g. George Harrison, Jim Morrison, Bruce Springsteen's when it was long - that kind of medium mop hairstyle.

This next part's the strange bit! Ever since I was about 10 or eleven (or maybe before, I can't remember that well), I've been inspired by the hairstyles some male anime characters have. I never saw anything similar to them in reality on anyone else at school, and rarely ever anything resembling the style in everyday life.

I found a couple of images on Pinterest -

This (the middle character) is the kind of thing I mean:

ab1d5c1b1ce4b881f46e9069959d884c.jpg

Or maybe something like this but a bit more layered:

dbcfa0958eacae5be64f99c5399b3d55133e4fc9_hq.jpg

I know it depends on factors like face shape, hair type etc - for example the last hairdresser I went to refused to give me any sort of fringe because she thought I had a low hairline.

Also, yes - I do realise these images may not reflect the realities of hair. If what you think I'm asking for is basically impossible, please tell me. I'm not looking for an exact replica, I just really like the style.

Anything on this would be appreciated!

Cass1

Reaction score
Hi,

In order for me to respond, I would need you to tell me exactly what you want: a haircut idea like the one from the Anime or a weird hairstyle in general?
Secondly, don't mind the hairstylist you went to. In my opinion, we're here, as hairstylists, to give advice. At the end of the day, the customer is the one who decides.

So please, give me more details in order for me to help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads