1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

wallet or money clip?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Jul 16, 2006.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Distinguished Member

Which do you prefer and why?

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Credit cards and ID in wallet and cash in money clip.

3. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

I use a money clip and a small wallett for ID cards etc.

4. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Money clip and slim card case.

5. meFIRST

meFIRST Active Member

Why not have the best of both worlds?
    I carry this wallet, for everyday use. It's a money clip/wallet hybird.
    http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...?modelid=14913
    It has (and continues to) serve me well.

There is a certain elegance I think with carrying a money clip, not to mention keeping bills organized.

However, the downside to money clips are:
    1) When travelling by air - it always sets off the metal detector. The TSA guards will force you to run it through the x-ray machine. For folks that don't like to part with their cash this can (and is) a problem. I find it cumbersome.

2) Money clips make sence for US Dollars, with it's uniform size. When travelling to other countries with currencies that come in different lengths and sizes, it gets a little messy.

6. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Don't the TSA require that everything in pockets be removed, money clip or wallet? I used to have a wallet like that and I always had to take it out, too. If the metal detectors beep on a silver or platinum money clip, they might for the metallic clip in the wallet, too.

After a while, I decided it better to keep my cards and cash separate; one can be lost or stolen without leaving me totally screwed. And I never find it problematic for foreign currencies though I understand the concern.

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Distinguished Member

I carry this wallet, for everyday use. It's a money clip/wallet hybird.
    http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...?modelid=14913
    It has (and continues to) serve me well.

There is a certain elegance I think with carrying a money clip, not to mention keeping bills organized.

However, the downside to money clips are:
    1) When travelling by air - it always sets off the metal detector. The TSA guards will force you to run it through the x-ray machine. For folks that don't like to part with their cash this can (and is) a problem. I find it cumbersome.

2) Money clips make sence for US Dollars, with it's uniform size. When travelling to other countries with currencies that come in different lengths and sizes, it gets a little messy.

I have a similar Wallet/money clip made by Fosil except mine does not fold, it has a small pocket for credit cards and a clear sleeve for your ID card, as well as a moneyclip on the outside for cash. It works very well and takes little space in my pocket.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I use a LV Taiga Leather Business Card case for my wallet. It is quite small, about 2.5"x4" and holds three credit cards in one side, and has one pocket that can be used for cash and receipts on one side, and another slot for about eight ID and other cards on the other side. It's in more or less new condition after three years of use, and looks very nice in my opinion.

[​IMG]

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, I agree. I carry the Hartmann Weekender wallet.

10. ekimho

ekimho Member

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I saw one of those at JC Penney. I think I'd just get a money clip though, since it's the lightest option for a suit jacket.

12. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Distinguished Member

when flying - put the money clip in your suit jacket pocket on one side - keys on the other. you have to take your coat off anyhow so if it gets stolen, it is b/c a chucklehead stole your suit jacket, which is MUCH harder to hide in a crowd. I carry a money clip and a wallet

13. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

Money clip and slim card case.

Ditto. I switched from a wallet a half year ago and enjoy the reduced bulk.

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

I carry a big, trusty, inelegant Eagle Creek wallet for day to day use, and switch to an A. Antinori that my great grandfather had made in Rome (fortunately, he's my namesake, so the monogram works out) for dress stuff.

15. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

I really dislike wallets and have not carried one for years. My current solution is a vintage slim nickel and alligator cigarette case (purchased, of course, at the Goodwill for fifty-nine cents). It's just slightly bigger than card size and will easily accomodate 3-4 cards and a book of stamps on one side and a modest amount of cash--depending on the denominations, to be sure--on the other. The flexible bands meant to keep cigarettes from spilling out also make sure that everything stays in place when the case is opened. I think it's a near perfect solution. It's elegant and nearly everybody who sees it admires it.