• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wallet or money clip?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which do you prefer and why?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a money clip and a small wallett for ID cards etc.

meFIRST

Reaction score
Why not have the best of both worlds?
I carry this wallet, for everyday use. It's a money clip/wallet hybird.
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...?modelid=14913
It has (and continues to) serve me well.

There is a certain elegance I think with carrying a money clip, not to mention keeping bills organized.

However, the downside to money clips are:
1) When travelling by air - it always sets off the metal detector. The TSA guards will force you to run it through the x-ray machine. For folks that don't like to part with their cash this can (and is) a problem. I find it cumbersome.

2) Money clips make sence for US Dollars, with it's uniform size. When travelling to other countries with currencies that come in different lengths and sizes, it gets a little messy.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't the TSA require that everything in pockets be removed, money clip or wallet? I used to have a wallet like that and I always had to take it out, too. If the metal detectors beep on a silver or platinum money clip, they might for the metallic clip in the wallet, too.

After a while, I decided it better to keep my cards and cash separate; one can be lost or stolen without leaving me totally screwed. And I never find it problematic for foreign currencies though I understand the concern.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Why not have the best of both worlds?
I carry this wallet, for everyday use. It's a money clip/wallet hybird.
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...?modelid=14913
It has (and continues to) serve me well.

There is a certain elegance I think with carrying a money clip, not to mention keeping bills organized.

However, the downside to money clips are:
1) When travelling by air - it always sets off the metal detector. The TSA guards will force you to run it through the x-ray machine. For folks that don't like to part with their cash this can (and is) a problem. I find it cumbersome.

2) Money clips make sence for US Dollars, with it's uniform size. When travelling to other countries with currencies that come in different lengths and sizes, it gets a little messy.

I have a similar Wallet/money clip made by Fosil except mine does not fold, it has a small pocket for credit cards and a clear sleeve for your ID card, as well as a moneyclip on the outside for cash. It works very well and takes little space in my pocket.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a LV Taiga Leather Business Card case for my wallet. It is quite small, about 2.5"x4" and holds three credit cards in one side, and has one pocket that can be used for cash and receipts on one side, and another slot for about eight ID and other cards on the other side. It's in more or less new condition after three years of use, and looks very nice in my opinion.

p10366145_ph_hero.jpg

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I saw one of those at JC Penney. I think I'd just get a money clip though, since it's the lightest option for a suit jacket.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when flying - put the money clip in your suit jacket pocket on one side - keys on the other. you have to take your coat off anyhow so if it gets stolen, it is b/c a chucklehead stole your suit jacket, which is MUCH harder to hide in a crowd. I carry a money clip and a wallet

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry a big, trusty, inelegant Eagle Creek wallet for day to day use, and switch to an A. Antinori that my great grandfather had made in Rome (fortunately, he's my namesake, so the monogram works out) for dress stuff.

pejsek

Reaction score
I really dislike wallets and have not carried one for years. My current solution is a vintage slim nickel and alligator cigarette case (purchased, of course, at the Goodwill for fifty-nine cents). It's just slightly bigger than card size and will easily accomodate 3-4 cards and a book of stamps on one side and a modest amount of cash--depending on the denominations, to be sure--on the other. The flexible bands meant to keep cigarettes from spilling out also make sure that everything stays in place when the case is opened. I think it's a near perfect solution. It's elegant and nearly everybody who sees it admires it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics